Subject: bug#42309: closed (Re: bug#42309: 28.0.50; ElDoc no longer uses the mode line)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2020 20:29:02 +0000

Your bug report

#42309: 28.0.50; ElDoc no longer uses the mode line

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
42309: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=42309
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#42309: 28.0.50; ElDoc no longer uses the mode line
From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2020 21:28:27 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I pushed a fix.  Let me know if it works.

João

Subject: 28.0.50; ElDoc no longer uses the mode line
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2020 17:40:53 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Since a few days ago, typing an expression in the minibuffer no longer
shows ElDoc information on the mode line; instead it shows it in the
minibuffer, after the cursor.  Is this change intentional?  I see
nothing about it in NEWS.  It seems to have started when the ElDoc
changes were merged from the branch.

To reproduce, start "emacs -Q" and type, e.g.,

  M-: (set-text-properties SPC

You will see the function's signature shown in the minibuffer instead of
the mode line.

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 344, i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2020-07-10 built on HOME-C4E4A596F7
Repository revision: 9ade7ea7b77ec40c16deb4dff139ce7127a703e2
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
System Description: Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 (v5.1.0.2600)

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Configured using:
 'configure -C --prefix=/d/usr --with-wide-int --with-modules
 --enable-checking=yes,glyphs 'CFLAGS=-O0 -gdwarf-4 -g3''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND NOTIFY W32NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2
HARFBUZZ ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS MODULES THREADS JSON PDUMPER LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ENU
  locale-coding-system: cp1255

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg epg-config
gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs text-property-search time-date subr-x seq
byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs cl-lib
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp disp-table term/w32-win w32-win w32-vars
term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads w32notify w32 lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 51557 9911)
 (symbols 48 7145 1)
 (strings 16 18784 2384)
 (string-bytes 1 530779)
 (vectors 16 10263)
 (vector-slots 8 130028 8276)
 (floats 8 21 95)
 (intervals 40 249 47)
 (buffers 888 10))