Subject: 27.0.50; Emacs does not adjust to global font scaling anymore

From: Torsten Bronger <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2020 09:06:43 +0200

If I re-scale all fonts on my Gnome desktop with e.g.

dconf write /org/gnome/desktop/interface/text-scaling-factor 2.0

Emacs is the only application that does not change its font size
accordingly.  Instead, I have to re-start Emacs.  This used to work
properly.  The problem was introduced with commit f208d5ae77.

In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu)
 of 2020-07-10 built on brad
Repository revision: 3f9d96e3d70e94768add7d89ffcb94be7de4597e
Repository branch: HEAD
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12008000
System Description: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

Recent messages:
Mark set
Mark activated
Quit [2 times]
Mark set
Mark activated
Saving file /tmp/toll.sh...
Wrote /tmp/toll.sh
delete-backward-char: Text is read-only
user-error: End of history; no default available [2 times]
funcall-interactively: End of buffer [2 times]

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr/ --mandir=/usr/share/man/
 --infodir=/usr/share/info/ --with-x-toolkit=no --without-makeinfo
 --with-xpm --with-jpeg --with-tiff --with-gif --with-png --with-x'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB
NOTIFY INOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ M17N_FLT
LIBOTF XFT ZLIB OLDXMENU X11 XDBE XIM THREADS LIBSYSTEMD PDUMPER LCMS2
GMP

Important settings:
  value of $EMACSLOADPATH: /home/bronger/.emacs.d/lisp:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: de_DE.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: de_DE.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: de_DE.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=fcitx
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Shell-script

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  sh-electric-here-document-mode: t
  TeX-PDF-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/bronger/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.2/tex-site hides /home/bronger/.emacs.d/lisp/tex-site
/home/bronger/.emacs.d/lisp/cmake-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/cmake-mode

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail elec-pair reftex-dcr reftex
reftex-loaddefs reftex-vars font-latex latexenc tex-mode cl-extra
help-mode vc-git diff-mode python tramp-sh tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver
tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat ucs-normalize shell
graphviz-dot-mode taskjuggler-mode skeleton darkroom cql-mode sql view
rust-mode swift-mode go-errcheck go-mode url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util
mailcap find-file ffap etags fileloop xref project yaml-mode
dockerfile-mode rx sh-script smie executable dired-x adaptive-wrap
org-duration org-rmail org-mhe org-irc org-info org-gnus nnir gnus-sum
gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source
utf7 netrc nnoo parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message rmc
puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus
nnheader gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
text-property-search mail-utils wid-edit org-docview doc-view jka-compr
image-mode dired dired-loaddefs org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb org-w3m
org-agenda ob-python org-element avl-tree generator org org-macro
org-footnote org-pcomplete pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities
time-date noutline outline org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle
org-src ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-keys ob-exp ob-comint ob-core ob-eval
org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs format-spec find-func server mmm-mode
mmm-univ mmm-class mmm-region mmm-auto mmm-vars mmm-utils mmm-compat cl
rst browse-kill-ring bbdb-autoloads bbdb timezone cal-china lunar solar
cal-dst cal-bahai cal-islam cal-hebrew holidays hol-loaddefs appt
diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs preview
prv-emacs reporter tex-buf latex easy-mmode latex-flymake flymake-proc
flymake compile comint ansi-color ring warnings thingatpt tex-ispell
tex-style tex dbus xml crm advice mm-util mail-prsvr autorevert
filenotify edmacro kmacro savehist time desktop frameset delsel
cus-start cus-load mule-util tex-site info package easymenu epg-config
url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map url-vars seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting x multi-tty make-network-process
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 416690 21448)
 (symbols 48 32196 2)
 (strings 32 104349 5670)
 (string-bytes 1 3512424)
 (vectors 16 61225)
 (vector-slots 8 704206 27798)
 (floats 8 790 39)
 (intervals 56 599 18)
 (buffers 992 19))

-- 
Torsten Bronger