Subject: bug#4230 closed by Karl Fogel <[email-masked]> (Fixed "bookmark-handle-bookmark: bind `use-file-dialog' to nil to relocate")

From: [email-masked] (Emacs bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2009 02:45:07 +0000

This is an automatic notification regarding your bug report
which was filed against the emacs package:

#4230: 23.1; bookmark-handle-bookmark: bind `use-file-dialog' to nil to relocate

It has been closed by Karl Fogel <[email-masked]>.

Their explanation is attached below along with your original report.
If this explanation is unsatisfactory and you have not received a
better one in a separate message then please contact Karl Fogel <[email-masked]> by
replying to this email.

-- 
4230: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=4230
Emacs Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Fixed "bookmark-handle-bookmark: bind `use-file-dialog' to nil to relocate"
From: Karl Fogel <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 04 Oct 2009 22:39:38 -0400

fixed
--

Thanks for the report.  Fix committed; please test this, as I do not
have a Windows system myself to test it on.

  $ cvs ci -F msg lisp/bookmark.el lisp/ChangeLog
  /sources/emacs/emacs/lisp/bookmark.el,v  <--  lisp/bookmark.el
  new revision: 1.130; previous revision: 1.129
  /sources/emacs/emacs/lisp/ChangeLog,v  <--  lisp/ChangeLog
  new revision: 1.16356; previous revision: 1.16355
  Mailing notification to [email-masked]... sent.
  $ 

Subject: 23.1; bookmark-handle-bookmark: bind `use-file-dialog' to nil to relocate
From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 15:45:19 -0700

>From the definition of bookmark-handle-bookmark:
 
(let ((file (bookmark-get-filename bookmark)))
         (when file        ;Don't know how to relocate if there's no `file'.
           (setq file (expand-file-name file))
           (ding)
           (if (y-or-n-p (concat (file-name-nondirectory file)
                                 " nonexistent.  Relocate \""
                                 bookmark
                                 "\"? "))
               ...
 
A bookmark can be to a directory or a file. AFAICT, at least on
Windows, you cannot choose a directory using a file selection box - it
insists on a file. Or perhaps there is another kind of file selection
box that allows this, but it is not being used by Emacs.
 
So `use-file-dialog' should be bound to nil around the call to
`y-or-n-p'.
 
I had a bookmark to a directory that needed to be relocated. I tried
to jump to the bookmark by clicking it with the mouse in the list from
`C-x r l'. Because I used the mouse, I got the file dialog box. I
could not find a way to specify a new directory - choosing a directory
just opens the dialog box to the files in the directory, waiting for
you to pick one.

In GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2009-07-29 on SOFT-MJASON
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.4)'