Subject: 23.1; bookmark-handle-bookmark: bind `use-file-dialog' to nil to relocate

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 15:45:19 -0700

>From the definition of bookmark-handle-bookmark:
 
(let ((file (bookmark-get-filename bookmark)))
         (when file        ;Don't know how to relocate if there's no `file'.
           (setq file (expand-file-name file))
           (ding)
           (if (y-or-n-p (concat (file-name-nondirectory file)
                                 " nonexistent.  Relocate \""
                                 bookmark
                                 "\"? "))
               ...
 
A bookmark can be to a directory or a file. AFAICT, at least on
Windows, you cannot choose a directory using a file selection box - it
insists on a file. Or perhaps there is another kind of file selection
box that allows this, but it is not being used by Emacs.
 
So `use-file-dialog' should be bound to nil around the call to
`y-or-n-p'.
 
I had a bookmark to a directory that needed to be relocated. I tried
to jump to the bookmark by clicking it with the mouse in the list from
`C-x r l'. Because I used the mouse, I got the file dialog box. I
could not find a way to specify a new directory - choosing a directory
just opens the dialog box to the files in the directory, waiting for
you to pick one.

In GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2009-07-29 on SOFT-MJASON
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.4)'