Subject: 23.1; wrong-type arg: char or string-p, nil

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 15:38:22 -0700

emacs -Q
M-x set-variable debug-on-error t
M-x load-file /......./bookmark.el
C-x r l
 
raises error:
 
Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument char-or-string-p nil)
  insert(nil)
  (prog1 (insert (bookmark-location bookmark)) (if (and ... ...)
(add-text-properties start ... ...)))
  (let ((start ...)) (prog1 (insert ...) (if ... ...)))
  bookmark-insert-location("*Messages* buffer list" t)
  (let ((bmrk ...)) (setq bookmark-bmenu-hidden-bookmarks (cons bmrk
bookmark-bmenu-hidden-bookmarks)) (let (...) (move-to-column
bookmark-bmenu-file-column t) (if ... ...)) (delete-region (point) (progn ...
...)) (insert "  ") (bookmark-insert-location bmrk t) (forward-line 1))
  (while (< (point) (point-max)) (let (...) (setq
bookmark-bmenu-hidden-bookmarks ...) (let ... ... ...) (delete-region ... ...)
(insert "  ") (bookmark-insert-location bmrk t) (forward-line 1)))
  (let ((inhibit-read-only t)) (while (< ... ...) (let ... ... ... ... ... ...
...)))
  (save-window-excursion (goto-char (point-min)) (forward-line 2) (setq
bookmark-bmenu-hidden-bookmarks nil) (let (...) (while ... ...)))
  (save-excursion (save-window-excursion (goto-char ...) (forward-line 2) (setq
bookmark-bmenu-hidden-bookmarks nil) (let ... ...)))
  (if (and (not force) bookmark-bmenu-toggle-filenames) nil (save-excursion
(save-window-excursion ... ... ... ...)))
  bookmark-bmenu-show-filenames()
  (cond (show (setq bookmark-bmenu-toggle-filenames nil)
(bookmark-bmenu-show-filenames) (setq bookmark-bmenu-toggle-filenames t))
(bookmark-bmenu-toggle-filenames (bookmark-bmenu-hide-filenames) (setq
bookmark-bmenu-toggle-filenames nil)) (t (bookmark-bmenu-show-filenames) (setq
bookmark-bmenu-toggle-filenames t)))
  bookmark-bmenu-toggle-filenames(t)
  (if bookmark-bmenu-toggle-filenames (bookmark-bmenu-toggle-filenames t))
  bookmark-bmenu-list()
  call-interactively(bookmark-bmenu-list nil nil)

In GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2009-07-29 on SOFT-MJASON
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.4)'