Subject: [bug#42283] [PATCH] gnu: Add adlplug.

From: Alexandros Theodotou <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2020 00:18:09 +0100

Hi,

Thanks for the review.

On Tue, 2020-07-21 at 00:55 +0200, Marius Bakke wrote:
> > +        (uri (git-reference
> > +               (url "https://github.com/jpcima/ADLplug.git")
> > +               (commit (string-append "v" version))
> > +               (recursive? #t))) ; uses 3rd party submodules
> 
> Is it possible to package these modules separately?
> 
> One of the submodules, uses a seemingly non-free license:
> 
>   https://juce.com/juce-5-license
> 
> Interestingly, it becomes a free license (GPL3) once you exceed a
> certain revenue!?
> 
> IANAL and only had a cursory look, but am not comfortable adding this
> without a larger discussion.  A good first step would be to package
> JUCE
> separately and take it from there.
The thing is that this is a fork of JUCE with some extra commits. The
original JUCE doesn't include an LV2 exporter for example (after
ignoring requests and patches to add it for years, it's still not
there. fun thread: https://github.com/juce-framework/JUCE/issues/123 )
so I think this fork adds the LV2 exporter among other things (I also
see various other commits that are not in other JUCE forks I know of).

Re the license: JUCE is dual-licened under a proprietary license and
GPL3+, and some modules are under the ISC license. adlplug has its
source code licensed under boost, but since it includes JUCE it's
essentially covered by the GPL3+

> 
> The other bundled packages seem fine, but it would be comforting to
> have
> them in Guix even if this package needs the bundled versions.  I also
> think we should mention their licenses -- especially since vst3sdk is
> available as either a proprietary license or GPL3, and taking the
> latter
> implies that this package _also_ becomes GPL3.
Yes same as JUCE. I'll send an updated patch that mentions all the
licenses. It would be nice to have the libraries in Guix anyway but I
don't have much time/interest in them at the moment to do that.

> 
> (btw, the bundled fmt library is already available)
> 
> So, this will be a tricky one.  Do you think you can look into
> packaging
> the bundled components separately?
I checked them, and they seem to be fixed to specific commits and not
releases. I am not sure if there's something specific in those commits
that's not included in the releases that the plugin needs. I'd play it
safe and use the submodules here.

Thanks,
Alex