Subject: Re: bug#42265: 28.0.50; different user experience with/out native-comp

From: Gregor Zattler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2020 10:39:05 +0200

Hi Andrea,
* Andrea Corallo <[email-masked]> [2020-07-12; 07:31]:
> I used a bit the branch compiled with NATIVE_FAST_BOOT=1 but so far I
> haven't managed to reproduce the issue.  Could you share a configuration
> to reproduce it?

I'll try, but my configuration is very convoluted.

Today I compiled feature/native-comp as of
commit 5be335e6b5d1a948a94206869d75c04684104203

First thing I noticed is, that emacs closed (crashed) two
times while async-compiling elpa files (I don't know which).

While trying to learn how to run emacs under gdb I realized
another different user experience with/out native-comp which
is reproducible with

INFOPATH=/usr/share/info ~/src/emacs/src/emacs -Q
(Info on how this emacs was build is at the end of this very
email.)

I now have the gdb-doc package installed and after this
invocation and C-h i I see several installed info nodes.
Most of them a native-comp emacs is able to display but not
(among others, as e.g.: gpg2, dirmngr) the info pages of
gdb.  If I hit RETURN on "Gdb" I get the following error message:
Info-find-node-2: Wrong type argument: number-or-marker-p, nil

But this works with
INFOPATH=/usr/share/info /usr/local/bin/emacs.emacs-snapshot -Q
which happens to be a recent emacs-27 on my system.

I'll try to find a minimal example for the difference in
viewing org mode files as reported earlier and to run emacs
under gdb in order to catch info on crashes.  But this will
take a while.

This is from INFOPATH=/usr/share/info ~/src/emacs/src/emacs -Q:

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.5, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2020-07-15 built on no
Repository revision: 5be335e6b5d1a948a94206869d75c04684104203
Repository branch: feature/native-comp
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12004000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Configured using:
 'configure -C --with-file-notification=inotify --with-cairo
 --without-toolkit-scroll-bars --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-sound=yes
 --without-gconf --with-mailutils --with-x=yes --enable-checking=yes
 --enable-check-lisp-object-type=yes --with-nativecomp 'CFLAGS=-g -O2
 -fdebug-prefix-map=/home/grfz/src/emacs=. -fstack-protector-strong
 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall -fno-pie' 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time
 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 ' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro -no-pie''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG CAIRO SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY
INOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ M17N_FLT LIBOTF
ZLIB GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS LIBSYSTEMD PDUMPER LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: de_DE.utf8
  value of $LC_CTYPE: de_DE.utf8
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: POSIX
  value of $LC_MONETARY: de_DE.utf8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: de_DE.utf8
  value of $LC_TIME: de_DE.utf8
  value of $LANG: de_DE.utf8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg epg-config
gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs text-property-search time-date subr-x seq
byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs cl-lib
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face pcase macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 54674 4960)
 (symbols 48 6321 1)
 (strings 32 16363 3043)
 (string-bytes 1 528249)
 (vectors 16 9555)
 (vector-slots 8 196247 8641)
 (floats 8 20 32)
 (intervals 56 217 0)
 (buffers 992 10))

Ciao,
--
Gregor