Subject: bug#42259: closed (Re: bug#42259: emacs-ess 18.10.2 sets R_HOME to a ridiculous value by default)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2020 03:29:02 +0000

Your bug report

#42259: emacs-ess 18.10.2 sets R_HOME to a ridiculous value by default

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
42259: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=42259
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#42259: emacs-ess 18.10.2 sets R_HOME to a ridiculous value by default
From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
To: Kyle Andrews <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2020 23:29:44 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

Kyle Andrews <[email-masked]> writes:

> I have been noticing many warnings coming from R in several contexts
> saying:
>
>   WARNING: ignoring environment value of R_HOME
>
> See for example the output of running:
>
>   $ R --version
>
> This warning appears to be coming from line 69 of ess-r-gui.el where an
> unset environment variable R_HOME is being set in elisp code which is
> pointing to some ancient version of R located inside a Microsoft Windows
> file system:
>
> R_HOME="c:/progra~1/R/R-2.6.1"
>
> This whole ess-r-gui.el file seems to be dedicated to interfacing with
> software in Microsoft Windows which doesn't seem at all relevant in the
> Guix world. This whole file can probably be safely deleted along with
> line 164 in the ESS/lisp/Makefile which I think triggers byte
> compilation.

This should be fixed in commit 0939462e3f81bc98b38bdb7610e6a80ca1cbaa1b.

Closing.  Thanks for the report!

Maxim

Subject: emacs-ess 18.10.2 sets R_HOME to a ridiculous value by default
From: Kyle Andrews <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2020 00:11:30 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I have been noticing many warnings coming from R in several contexts
saying:

  WARNING: ignoring environment value of R_HOME

See for example the output of running:

  $ R --version

This warning appears to be coming from line 69 of ess-r-gui.el where an
unset environment variable R_HOME is being set in elisp code which is
pointing to some ancient version of R located inside a Microsoft Windows
file system:

R_HOME="c:/progra~1/R/R-2.6.1"

This whole ess-r-gui.el file seems to be dedicated to interfacing with
software in Microsoft Windows which doesn't seem at all relevant in the
Guix world. This whole file can probably be safely deleted along with
line 164 in the ESS/lisp/Makefile which I think triggers byte
compilation.