Subject: Re: bug#42256: 27.0.50; composition

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2020 17:18:50 +0300

> From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2020 22:41:14 -0400
> 
> 
> On the tty, a composition shows up as u followed by a diamond.
> I try to find out with C-u C-x = what the diamond stands for,
> and get this, which tells me the hex code 304 but does not
> say what the character looks like or means.

I'm not sure I understand what you'd like to see there in addition to
what is shown (the codepoint in hex).  That diamond means that your
terminal cannot display this codepoint, so Emacs cannot usefully show
you what it looks like (it does show it on my system, where that
character can be displayed).  Given that your terminal cannot display
this character, what would help you to know more?  We could perhaps
display the Unicode name of the character (COMBINING MACRON), would
that help?  Alternatively, you could go to that character and type
"C-u C-x =", which would then show the full information about it.