Subject: bug#42256: 27.0.50; composition

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2020 22:41:14 -0400

On the tty, a composition shows up as u followed by a diamond.
I try to find out with C-u C-x = what the diamond stands for,
and get this, which tells me the hex code 304 but does not
say what the character looks like or means.

It does so for the u, which I can see, but not for the 0x304
which I cannot see.

It would be nice for the description of a composition to give the name
description of each of the components.

             position: 1484 of 26036 (6%), column: 12
            character: u (displayed as u) (codepoint 117, #o165, #x75)
              charset: ascii (ASCII (ISO646 IRV))
code point in charset: 0x75
               script: latin
               syntax: w 	which means: word
             category: .:Base, L:Left-to-right (strong), a:ASCII, l:Latin, r:Roman
             to input: type "C-x 8 RET 75" or "C-x 8 RET LATIN SMALL LETTER U"
          buffer code: #x75
            file code: #x75 (encoded by coding system utf-8-unix)
              display: composed to form "ū" (see below)

Composed with the following character(s) "̄" by these characters:
 u (#x75)
 ̄ (#x304)

Character code properties: customize what to show
  name: LATIN SMALL LETTER U
  general-category: Ll (Letter, Lowercase)
  decomposition: (117) ('u')

[back]

In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 3, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.30)
 of 2019-06-28 built on freetop
Repository revision: 093f5d0045cc5facd3728e385a71ef84f218bdfe
Repository branch: master
System Description: Trisquel GNU/Linux Flidas (8.0)

Recent messages:
Type C-x 1 to delete the help window.
Char: ) (41, #o51, #x29) point=1486 of 26036 (6%) column=13

Char: u (117, #o165, #x75) point=1484 of 26036 (6%) column=12
Mark set [2 times]
Saved text until "e)
  decomposition: (117) ('u')

[back]
"

Configured using:
 'configure 'CFLAGS=-O0 -g' --with-gnutls=ifavailable'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY
INOTIFY LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK2 X11 XDBE XIM THREADS PDUMPER GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Text

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  gpm-mouse-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug descr-text ispell smerge-mode vc vc-dispatcher
cl-extra parse-time vc-cvs mhtml-mode css-mode smie eww mm-url gnus
nnheader wid-edit url-queue url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf mailcap color js imenu
sgml-mode shell pcomplete grep mule-util compile comint ansi-color
conf-mode quail help-mode rmailout vc-git diff-mode easy-mmode
bug-reference cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles
cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs dired-aux misearch multi-isearch
thingatpt etags fileloop generator xref project ring dabbrev mailalias
sendmail rmailkwd url-util shr svg xml dom browse-url qp rmailmm
message rmc puny format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec epa epg gnus-util
text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader mail-parse rfc2231 rmail
rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr
mail-utils dired dired-loaddefs t-mouse term/linux elec-pair view
derived paren cus-start cus-load advice finder-inf package easymenu
epg-config url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core
cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map url-vars seq
byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib tooltip
eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode
elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face
macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 343141 64732)
 (symbols 48 28965 2)
 (strings 32 114233 932)
 (string-bytes 1 2935245)
 (vectors 16 36731)
 (vector-slots 8 1556392 168068)
 (floats 8 230 196)
 (intervals 56 69684 806)
 (buffers 992 72)
 (heap 1024 33230 3039))
[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman
Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org)
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)