Subject: bug#42256: 27.0.50; composition

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2020 23:01:27 -0400

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

  > I'm not sure I understand what you'd like to see there in addition to
  > what is shown (the codepoint in hex).  That diamond means that your
  > terminal cannot display this codepoint, so Emacs cannot usefully show
  > you what it looks like

I did not say "show", I said "say":

    and get this, which tells me the hex code 304 but does not
    say what the character looks like or means.

Unicode characters have names which say what they look like.  For
instance, á is LATIN SMALL LETTER A WITH ACUTE.  Even if my terminal
could not display á, that name would tell me what it is.

If that diamond were not inside a composition, I could use C-u C-x =
on it and find out what character that is.  The flaw here is that
there is no way to see the descriptive name of the second character in
a composition.

C-u C-x = shows the name for the first composed character, #x75,
but fails to show it for #x304:

    Composed with the following character(s) "̄" by these characters:
     u (#x75)
     ̄ (#x304)

    Character code properties: customize what to show
      name: LATIN SMALL LETTER U
      general-category: Ll (Letter, Lowercase)
      decomposition: (117) ('u')

   [nothing further]

I would like C-u C-x = on a composed charadcter to show the name for
each character in the composition.

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman
Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org)
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)