Subject: bug#42248: 27.0.91; With enchant-2.2.8 from Guix, Flyspell errors out or gives lots of false positives

From: Jorge P. de Morais Neto <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2020 17:54:44 -0300

I reported this problem on the help-guix mailing list and they changed
their enchant package so now it behaves the same as Debian's.  It no
longer misreports numerals.  It now depends on hunspell.  See:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2020-08/msg00089.html
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2020-08/msg00092.html

However, both ispell-buffer and Flyspell still misreport "doesn't".  The
"en_US" entry in ispell-dictionary-alist specifies "[0123456789]" for
OTHERCHARS.  When I change it to "[0123456789']", Flyspell no longer
misreports "doesn't", but ispell-buffer still does.

Interestingly, the CLI tool enchant-2 misreports "doesn't", but Gedit,
which very probably uses Enchant, correctly accepts "doesn't and four
other contractions I tested.  It seems Gedit calls the enchant library
in a different way than Enchant's own command-line tool.

The reason to believe that Gedit uses Enchant are:
1. Wikipedia says so
2. Gedit's spell checker correctly accepts every word I have in the
   Enchant user dictionary.

Regards
-- 
- <https://jorgemorais.gitlab.io/justice-for-rms/>
- I am Brazilian.  I hope my English is correct and I welcome feedback.
- Free Software Supporter: <https://www.fsf.org/free-software-supporter>
- If an email of mine arrives at your spam box, please notify me.