Subject: bug#42242: 27.0.91; emacs.service now requires emacs to be built with -lsystemd

From: Bhavin Gandhi <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2020 00:08:13 +0530

I'm not sure what is the best solution for this. But I would like to
propose the following patch which adds a line about '-lsystemd' in
etc/NEWS. I think this will serve as a warning till we come up with a
solution (if that is required).

Patch is for, 'emacs-27' branch.
From a8ca1d3b4e098337066e1453a300e2ad3cda3e79 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Bhavin Gandhi <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2020 23:28:20 +0530
Subject: [PATCH] ; etc/NEWS: Add a note about -lsystemd

Required when using Type=notify in emacs.service (bug#42242).

Copyright-paperwork-exempt: yes
---
 etc/NEWS | 9 +++++----
 1 file changed, 5 insertions(+), 4 deletions(-)

diff --git a/etc/NEWS b/etc/NEWS
index a056f5c1e8..cbf1aa3e0a 100644
--- a/etc/NEWS
+++ b/etc/NEWS
@@ -202,10 +202,11 @@ it won't work right without some adjustment:
 
 ** Emacs now notifies systemd when startup finishes or shutdown begins.
 Units that are ordered after 'emacs.service' will only be started
-after Emacs has finished initialization and is ready for use.
-(If your Emacs is installed in a non-standard location and you copied the
-emacs.service file to e.g. "~/.config/systemd/user/", you will need to copy
-the new version of the file again.)
+after Emacs has finished initialization and is ready for use. This
+needs Emacs to be built with '-lsystemd'. (If your Emacs is installed
+in a non-standard location and you copied the emacs.service file to
+e.g. "~/.config/systemd/user/", you will need to copy the new version
+of the file again.)
 
 
 * Changes in Emacs 27.1
-- 
2.26.2