Subject: Re: bug#42224: Emacs currently requires bash and gzip to be propagated to load core functionality

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2021 08:42:16 -0400

Hi,

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> skribis:
>
>> It was discovered while troubleshooting an issue on help-guix [0] that
>> Emacs cannot currently load its subr-x module (there are probably many
>> more) when used in a pure environment (or container) that doesn't
>> propagate bash and gzip, which it uses to decompress the said module.
>
> D’oh!
>
>> The fix would be to patch Emacs' sources so those programs are referred
>> by their absolute store paths rather than simply being looked in PATH.

I believe this was fixed by Leo Prikler in their commit
d13b46fae46fe0e0d529e67ffc7f4074440d1b6e (gnu: emacs: Add coreutils and
gzip to PATH).

Closing!

Maxim