Subject: bug#42224: closed (Re: bug#42224: Emacs currently requires bash and gzip to be propagated to load core functionality)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 20 May 2021 12:43:02 +0000

Your bug report

#42224: Emacs currently requires bash and gzip to be propagated to load core functionality

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
42224: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=42224
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#42224: Emacs currently requires bash and gzip to be propagated to load core functionality
From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
To: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 20 May 2021 08:42:16 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> skribis:
>
>> It was discovered while troubleshooting an issue on help-guix [0] that
>> Emacs cannot currently load its subr-x module (there are probably many
>> more) when used in a pure environment (or container) that doesn't
>> propagate bash and gzip, which it uses to decompress the said module.
>
> D’oh!
>
>> The fix would be to patch Emacs' sources so those programs are referred
>> by their absolute store paths rather than simply being looked in PATH.

I believe this was fixed by Leo Prikler in their commit
d13b46fae46fe0e0d529e67ffc7f4074440d1b6e (gnu: emacs: Add coreutils and
gzip to PATH).

Closing!

Maxim

Subject: Emacs currently requires bash and gzip to be progatade to load core functionality.
From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
To: bug-guix <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Jul 2020 22:59:12 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello!

It was discovered while troubleshooting an issue on help-guix [0] that
Emacs cannot currently load its subr-x module (there are probably many
more) when used in a pure environment (or container) that doesn't
propagate bash and gzip, which it uses to decompress the said module.

The fix would be to patch Emacs' sources so those programs are referred
by their absolute store paths rather than simply being looked in PATH.

Maxim

[0]  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2020-06/msg00143.html