Subject: bug#42212: Guix version rendered as 0.0-git in info manual

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2020 11:48:26 +0200

Hi,

zimoun <[email-masked]> skribis:

> On Fri, 10 Jul 2020 at 00:29, Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Arun Isaac <[email-masked]> skribis:
>>
>>> In the info manual, the Guix version is rendered as 0.0-git. For
>>> example, in "(guix) The Store", see "The ability to connect to remote
>>> build daemons is considered experimental as of 0.0-git". I am running
>>> the Guix standalone system. Any idea what's going wrong?
>>
>> Nothing!  :-)
>>
>> The “0.0-git” string comes from (guix self).  As noted there, we can’t
>> really afford to change the version string at each commit, or we’d have
>> to rebuild the manual at each commit.
>
> Why is it an issue if the manual is substituted?

If it has to be rebuilt at every commit, chances are you won’t get
substitutes because it has to be built on the build farm, too.  :-)

Ludo’.