Subject: Re: bug#42212: Guix version rendered as 0.0-git in info manual

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2020 11:37:25 +0200

Hi,

On Fri, 10 Jul 2020 at 00:29, Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Arun Isaac <[email-masked]> skribis:
>
>> In the info manual, the Guix version is rendered as 0.0-git. For
>> example, in "(guix) The Store", see "The ability to connect to remote
>> build daemons is considered experimental as of 0.0-git". I am running
>> the Guix standalone system. Any idea what's going wrong?
>
> Nothing!  :-)
>
> The “0.0-git” string comes from (guix self).  As noted there, we can’t
> really afford to change the version string at each commit, or we’d have
> to rebuild the manual at each commit.

Why is it an issue if the manual is substituted?

> We could perhaps choose a more meaningful version string, though, maybe
> by looking at the closest tag or something.

For example, when I pull I have something like:

   /gnu/store/…-guix-1b2141743-modules.drv

so why this commit ID could not be reused in the manual?  For example,
the devel version of the manual contains the commit ID, see [1].

1: https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/guix.html#The-Store

All the best,
simon

ps:
Sorry Ludo for the double sending, I missed the "reply all".