Subject: Re: bug#42209: 12.2.4; Text propogated wrong in TeX-fold-mode

From: Ikumi Keita <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2021 16:35:22 +0900

Hi Gennady,

>>>>> Ikumi Keita <[email-masked]> writes:
>>>>> <[email-masked]> writes:
>> 2.	Auctex makes the subscript of the integral in the equation small and
>> lowered.

>> *	After folding the Greek symbols and the other macros they appear to
>> be the same size as "normal" text so they do not inherit the surrounding
>> fontification. 

> I can observe this behavior. It seems that the attached patch fixes the
> problem. Could you test whether it works for you or not?

I pushed this change into the git repo, so I expect this issue is fixed.

>> I illustrate with examples

>> Consider the following LaTeX file (attached as main.tex):

>> \documentclass{amsart}
>> \begin{document}
>> \title{Simple AMSart}
>> \author{Author McAuthorface}

>> \maketitle

>> \section{Section \textit{a} : a \LaTeX macro}
>> \begin{equation*}
>> \int_{\alpha + \beta = \LaTeX + \dots }
>> \end{equation*}
>> \end{document}

>> 1.	
>> *	The macro \textit{a} folds into an "a" as specified by
>> TeX-fold-macro-spec-list (value included below) but it gets rendered much
>> larger than the surrounding text
>> *	I believe because the "enlargement" gets applied twice, but I am not
>> sure. 

> I tried just enabling TeX-fold-mode without your whole init setting, and
> the problem doesn't reproduce with the provided sample latex file.

I at last succeeded to reproduce this issue. It turned out that C-c C-o
C-b doesn't reproduce it, but C-c C-o C-m on the \textit does. It seems
that it results from complex interactions within emacs display engine,
and not easy to fix. Maybe I look into this again some day.

Regards,
Ikumi Keita