Subject: bug#42194: 27.0.91; shr and rowspan

From: Mike Kupfer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2020 11:55:45 -0700

Reproducer: save this sample HTML to a file and view it with eww:

-----8<-----8<-----
<html>
  <body>
    <table>
      <tr><td rowspan="3">text along left side of table</td></tr>
      <tr><td>row 1</td></tr>
      <tr><td>row 2</td></tr>
    </table>
  </body>
</html>
----->8----->8-----

I'm not terribly concerned about the exact formatting of the table, but
I do expect to see the "row 1" and "row 2" text somewhere.  Instead, all
I see is

-----8<-----8<-----
 text along left side of table  
----->8----->8-----

The test case is abstracted from some HTML-only notification emails that
I have started receiving.  With the "row 1" and "row 2" text missing,
the emails are close to useless.

I can't tell if I should expect shr to handle rowspan correctly.  (Is
there somewhere that documents known restrictions on the HTML that shr
can handle?)  If I shouldn't expect rowspan to be handled correctly (I
can imagine it's hard to get right), please treat this as a wishlist
(feature request) report.

I have verified that the problem also occurs with 26.1 and 26.3, and
I've reproduced it with "emacs -Q".

In GNU Emacs 27.0.91 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw scroll bars)
 of 2020-06-06 built on alto
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12004000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)

Recent messages:
Mark activated
Mark set [5 times]
Auto-saving...done
Auto-saving...done
Mark set [3 times]
Saving file /home/kupfer/Desktop/sample.html...
Wrote /home/kupfer/Desktop/sample.html
You can run the command ‘eww’ with G
Saving file /home/kupfer/Mail/drafts/1...
Wrote /home/kupfer/Mail/drafts/1

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr/local'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG SOUND GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY INOTIFY LIBSELINUX
GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS LUCID X11
XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS PDUMPER GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LC_TIME: C
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug mh-identity mh-comp tabify man compile jka-compr info
eieio-opt speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe find-func help-fns radix-tree
url-file url-dired skeleton mh-letter mh-mime mh-gnus mh-show goto-addr
pp mule-util sort gnus-cite shr-color mail-extr gnus-async gnus-bcklg
gnus-kill mhtml-mode css-mode smie eww thingatpt url-queue color js
sgml-mode gnus-dup qp cl-extra help-mode gnus-ml disp-table misearch
multi-isearch mm-archive url-http url-gw url-cache url-auth url-handlers
gnutls nnrss mm-url nndoc nndraft nnmh network-stream nsm gnus-agent
gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu
mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig nntp gnus-cache gnus-sum url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history mailcap shr
url-cookie url-domsuf url-util url-parse url-vars svg xml dom browse-url
gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source
utf7 netrc nnoo parse-time iso8601 gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range
gnus-win gnus nnheader wid-edit mh-thread mh-inc hl-line mh-tool-bar
mh-seq mh-xface mh-utils mh-folder which-func imenu mh-scan mh-e
mh-compat mh-buffers mh-loaddefs mdk-mail smtpmail auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs json map sendmail message rmc
puny dired dired-loaddefs format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache
epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs
text-property-search time-date subr-x seq gv mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums
mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader server noutline
outline easy-mmode cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles
cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv
shell pcomplete comint ansi-color ring xcscope easymenu advice delsel vc
vc-dispatcher timeclock cl-loaddefs cl-lib mdk-hacks tooltip eldoc
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win
x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 370501 40212)
 (symbols 48 27130 2)
 (strings 32 97049 6801)
 (string-bytes 1 3044610)
 (vectors 16 37863)
 (vector-slots 8 680245 49762)
 (floats 8 452 367)
 (intervals 56 35265 0)
 (buffers 1000 37))