Subject: Re: bug#4219: 23.1; case insensitive + partial completions

From: Eli Barzilay <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 01:55:24 -0400

On Sep 13, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> >>>>> "Eli" == Eli Barzilay <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> >   INSTALL
> >   install-sh
> 
> > Hit `C-x C-f ins TAB' -- it will be completed to "insTALL".
> 
> I think the patch below will help out.  You may still get such
> inconsistent results in different parts of a completion
> (e.g. completing "fo-ba" against "FOO-BAR" and "foo-bar" may return
> "FOO-bar"), but at least the above case should be handled better.

I had a hacked version of `PC-do-completion' which worked until v23
came out that did a proper case-insensitive match.  In my version I'd
never get "FOO-bar" for the above.  Would it help to look at it?

(It's been a while since I did it, and all I have a single comment at
the top of that change saying: "If there are possibility prefixes that
match the basestr exactly then replace the basestr part of prefix by
the apropriate one".  So I'm not sure if this can be helpful or not.)

-- 
          ((lambda (x) (x x)) (lambda (x) (x x)))          Eli Barzilay:
                    http://barzilay.org/                   Maze is Life!