Subject: bug#42184: 27.0.91; org-fontify-whole-heading-line does not work in emacs 27

From: Kévin Le Gouguec <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2020 19:50:38 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Kévin Le Gouguec <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2020 19:13:58 +0200
>> Cc: [email-masked]
>> 
>> I don't know if patching leuven is TRT?  Maybe the :extend t should be
>> added to the face definitions directly, since Org provides a knob
>> (org-fontify-whole-heading-line) to control whether the final newline is
>> fontified?
>
> Yes, I think the change should be in Org, not in the themes.

OK.  Paging in Nicolas and Bastien (I don't know who exactly should join
in on our fun, or if I should just cross-post to [email-masked]).

Have the Org maintainers given some thought to what should become of
org-fontify-whole-heading-line and
org-fontify-whole-block-delimiter-line from Emacs 27 onward?

If these options still make sense (i.e. users should be able to choose
between extended or non-extended backgrounds/under/overlines,
independently of how themes customize the faces), org-level-* and
org-block-{begin,end}-line should probably be defined with :extend t?

Relatedly (but not crucial to solving this bug), should org-block and
org-block-background also have :extend t?  It would make sense to me
since they delimit visual "blocks".

Last question (that one might be answered somewhere in Org's
documentation): how should we patch org-mode?  First on emacs-27, then
on org-mode's maint branch?