Subject: Re: bug#42174: GNU Icecat showing Github Icons?

From: Timmy Douglas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2021 21:45:52 -0700

Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]> writes:

> I see the same on https://ie.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_Carroll (and other
> pages of the ie.wikipedia.org site), but not on other sites.
>
> I have these fonts installed in my profile:
>
> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
> font-wqy-zenhei	0.9.45	out	/gnu/store/4666sykl746p9vf4k2vh0nkiw12zjhs5-font-wqy-zenhei-0.9.45
> font-tex-gyre	2.005	out	/gnu/store/pyw1h9gh77b1k8wm26vb9qfbk083qkhf-font-tex-gyre-2.005
> font-google-noto	20171025	out	/gnu/store/g2szydnbvs7qqy2nf7qylba0rapajmd8-font-google-noto-20171025
> font-inconsolata	3.000	out	/gnu/store/8vq65z92r51ghnxbgdss9irk23df9s5f-font-inconsolata-3.000
> font-adobe-source-han-sans	1.004	out	/gnu/store/vravfg76hqm27lrylhc2y44zs1y9zyn2-font-adobe-source-han-sans-1.004
> font-awesome	4.7.0	out	/gnu/store/gknn01i1nr80apmcx42w36cqcz3zzri2-font-awesome-4.7.0
> font-google-roboto	2.136	out	/gnu/store/3mv6bxcvdds1npbg2wf10901xh9y3x03-font-google-roboto-2.136
> font-dejavu	2.37	out	/gnu/store/7y3lvk3xf4im8n44337mc6y0ccysvfia-font-dejavu-2.37
> font-adobe75dpi	1.0.3	out	/gnu/store/gypnv4gfdbp44f9zcg2gsij6qlijm3kd-font-adobe75dpi-1.0.3
> font-adobe100dpi	1.0.3	out	/gnu/store/nhq03m9x7armfdpyj63hq1lqw82vzxzi-font-adobe100dpi-1.0.3
> font-liberation	2.1.2	out	/gnu/store/39j1dcvx5996019dqh9jn8xc0pyg7jb0-font-liberation-2.1.2
> font-gnu-unifont	13.0.05	out	/gnu/store/ajnwk1yfdlf4cjgya1laww497q98sqj7-font-gnu-unifont-13.0.05
> font-fira-code	5.2	out	/gnu/store/k0jya8b6adxymjxpcc2yr4590rwpr1dn-font-fira-code-5.2
> --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

I have the same issue--all of icecat's font symbols are github icons.
This machine using guix on ubuntu, and running sway from guix.

/home/timmy [timmy@timmy-4570] [21:39]
> guix package -I
guix	1.2.0rc2-1.0d4b1af	out	/gnu/store/mpwik590jp57d4vw09yigxihb3gnq9a0-guix-1.2.0rc2-1.0d4b1af
hello	2.10	out	/gnu/store/a462kby1q51ndvxdv3b6p0rsixxrgx1h-hello-2.10
less	563	out	/gnu/store/y2w719kd0f8624hccmyq3y1prj1pfapc-less-563
guile	3.0.5	out	/gnu/store/m5iprcg6pb5ch86r9agmqwd8v6kp7999-guile-3.0.5
i3status	2.13	out	/gnu/store/q2giwl9nwhxnaj6cyi00gf92g5aafg9p-i3status-2.13
ccls	0.20201025	out	/gnu/store/kbqwz9x4d5vcy9k7v17353ic0ww1w5lp-ccls-0.20201025
glibc-locales	2.31	out	/gnu/store/f3i89i1j5msqpmdhqyvka4dv766i6vjy-glibc-locales-2.31
screen	4.8.0	out	/gnu/store/n70kzschlgcfznra06vc9v5zmr2978ri-screen-4.8.0
coredns	1.8.1-0.78de01a	out	/gnu/store/ibnzjkbqfa1p4vllki3abg18z5qlrq3y-coredns-1.8.1-0.78de01a
git	2.30.1	out	/gnu/store/12rngfhsh8kgg3x9nvy28p49wpz2406y-git-2.30.1
nss-certs	3.59	out	/gnu/store/4n222mdzwcibajsgjrpvx3zshqcv8w12-nss-certs-3.59
isync	1.4.1	out	/gnu/store/4i3m7nb4m9s9xqw4wph8bqdkp49nnq0x-isync-1.4.1
swaks	20201014.0	out	/gnu/store/nvhjsgc7ms5aa6r5ddr8s52izwqrws3x-swaks-20201014.0
llvm	11.0.0	out	/gnu/store/876nbkqqkpcy10md23vp6y6mf38c2rgb-llvm-11.0.0
clang	11.0.0	out	/gnu/store/gnvkdq38rx2kgdzmp45dz1n4f5a1pxaw-clang-11.0.0
sway	1.5.1	out	/gnu/store/4qdxp99anhbwfdaxvz085zyl85kzy64s-sway-1.5.1
icecat	78.8.0-guix0-preview1	out	/gnu/store/ah7asj0z9hxkl1vwy4lfm99vc16m203v-icecat-78.8.0-guix0-preview1
fontconfig	2.13.1	out	/gnu/store/y9fdy234r6hqiacd7hgwlmbdsngbp8p1-fontconfig-2.13.1
gs-fonts	8.11	out	/gnu/store/hbqlzgd8hcf6ndcmx7q7miqrsxb4dmkk-gs-fonts-8.11
font-gnu-freefont	20120503	out	/gnu/store/pkkwax360gs1dvw2wa5w2kf1mfvxkr2q-font-gnu-freefont-20120503
font-dejavu	2.37	out	/gnu/store/7y3lvk3xf4im8n44337mc6y0ccysvfia-font-dejavu-2.37

/home/timmy [timmy@timmy-4570] [21:39]
> fc-cache -rv
/gnu/store/7y3lvk3xf4im8n44337mc6y0ccysvfia-font-dejavu-2.37/share/fonts: caching, new cache contents: 0 fonts, 1 dirs
/gnu/store/7y3lvk3xf4im8n44337mc6y0ccysvfia-font-dejavu-2.37/share/fonts/truetype: caching, new cache contents: 22 fonts, 0 dirs
/home/timmy/.guix-profile/share/fonts: caching, new cache contents: 0 fonts, 4 dirs
/home/timmy/.guix-profile/share/fonts/opentype: caching, new cache contents: 12 fonts, 0 dirs
/home/timmy/.guix-profile/share/fonts/truetype: caching, new cache contents: 34 fonts, 0 dirs
/home/timmy/.guix-profile/share/fonts/type1: caching, new cache contents: 0 fonts, 1 dirs
/home/timmy/.guix-profile/share/fonts/type1/ghostscript: caching, new cache contents: 35 fonts, 0 dirs
/home/timmy/.guix-profile/share/fonts/webfonts: caching, new cache contents: 1 fonts, 0 dirs
/run/current-system/profile/share/fonts: skipping, no such directory
/home/timmy/.local/share/fonts: skipping, no such directory
/home/timmy/.fonts: caching, new cache contents: 6 fonts, 0 dirs
/gnu/store/7y3lvk3xf4im8n44337mc6y0ccysvfia-font-dejavu-2.37/share/fonts/truetype: skipping, looped directory detected
/home/timmy/.guix-profile/share/fonts/opentype: skipping, looped directory detected
/home/timmy/.guix-profile/share/fonts/truetype: skipping, looped directory detected
/home/timmy/.guix-profile/share/fonts/type1: skipping, looped directory detected
/home/timmy/.guix-profile/share/fonts/webfonts: skipping, looped directory detected
/home/timmy/.guix-profile/share/fonts/type1/ghostscript: skipping, looped directory detected
/var/cache/fontconfig: not cleaning unwritable cache directory
/home/timmy/.cache/fontconfig: cleaning cache directory
/home/timmy/.fontconfig: not cleaning non-existent cache directory
fc-cache: succeeded

/home/timmy [timmy@timmy-4570] [21:39]
> fc-list|grep -i dejavu
/home/timmy/.guix-profile/share/fonts/truetype/DejaVuSerif-Bold.ttf: DejaVu Serif:style=Bold
/home/timmy/.guix-profile/share/fonts/truetype/DejaVuSansCondensed-BoldOblique.ttf: DejaVu Sans,DejaVu Sans Condensed:style=Condensed Bold Oblique,Bold Oblique
/gnu/store/7y3lvk3xf4im8n44337mc6y0ccysvfia-font-dejavu-2.37/share/fonts/truetype/DejaVuSerif.ttf: DejaVu Serif:style=Book
/gnu/store/7y3lvk3xf4im8n44337mc6y0ccysvfia-font-dejavu-2.37/share/fonts/truetype/DejaVuSansCondensed.ttf: DejaVu Sans,DejaVu Sans Condensed:style=Condensed,Book
/gnu/store/7y3lvk3xf4im8n44337mc6y0ccysvfia-font-dejavu-2.37/share/fonts/truetype/DejaVuSansCondensed-BoldOblique.ttf: DejaVu Sans,DejaVu Sans Condensed:style=Condensed Bold Oblique,Bold Oblique
/gnu/store/7y3lvk3xf4im8n44337mc6y0ccysvfia-font-dejavu-2.37/share/fonts/truetype/DejaVuSerifCondensed-Italic.ttf: DejaVu Serif,DejaVu Serif Condensed:style=Condensed Italic,Italic
/home/timmy/.guix-profile/share/fonts/truetype/DejaVuSansCondensed-Oblique.ttf: DejaVu Sans,DejaVu Sans Condensed:style=Condensed Oblique,Oblique
/gnu/store/7y3lvk3xf4im8n44337mc6y0ccysvfia-font-dejavu-2.37/share/fonts/truetype/DejaVuSansMono-BoldOblique.ttf: DejaVu Sans Mono:style=Bold Oblique
/gnu/store/7y3lvk3xf4im8n44337mc6y0ccysvfia-font-dejavu-2.37/share/fonts/truetype/DejaVuSerifCondensed-BoldItalic.ttf: DejaVu Serif,DejaVu Serif Condensed:style=Condensed Bold Italic,Bold Italic
/home/timmy/.guix-profile/share/fonts/truetype/DejaVuSans.ttf: DejaVu Sans:style=Book
/gnu/store/7y3lvk3xf4im8n44337mc6y0ccysvfia-font-dejavu-2.37/share/fonts/truetype/DejaVuSans-Oblique.ttf: DejaVu Sans:style=Oblique
/home/timmy/.guix-profile/share/fonts/truetype/DejaVuSerifCondensed-Italic.ttf: DejaVu Serif,DejaVu Serif Condensed:style=Condensed Italic,Italic
/home/timmy/.guix-profile/share/fonts/truetype/DejaVuSans-ExtraLight.ttf: DejaVu Sans,DejaVu Sans Light:style=ExtraLight
/home/timmy/.guix-profile/share/fonts/truetype/DejaVuSerif-Italic.ttf: DejaVu Serif:style=Italic
/home/timmy/.guix-profile/share/fonts/truetype/DejaVuSans-BoldOblique.ttf: DejaVu Sans:style=Bold Oblique
/gnu/store/7y3lvk3xf4im8n44337mc6y0ccysvfia-font-dejavu-2.37/share/fonts/truetype/DejaVuSansMono-Bold.ttf: DejaVu Sans Mono:style=Bold
/gnu/store/7y3lvk3xf4im8n44337mc6y0ccysvfia-font-dejavu-2.37/share/fonts/truetype/DejaVuSansCondensed-Bold.ttf: DejaVu Sans,DejaVu Sans Condensed:style=Condensed Bold,Bold
/home/timmy/.guix-profile/share/fonts/truetype/DejaVuSerif.ttf: DejaVu Serif:style=Book
/home/timmy/.guix-profile/share/fonts/truetype/DejaVuSans-Oblique.ttf: DejaVu Sans:style=Oblique
/home/timmy/.guix-profile/share/fonts/truetype/DejaVuSerifCondensed-Bold.ttf: DejaVu Serif,DejaVu Serif Condensed:style=Condensed Bold,Bold
/gnu/store/7y3lvk3xf4im8n44337mc6y0ccysvfia-font-dejavu-2.37/share/fonts/truetype/DejaVuSerifCondensed.ttf: DejaVu Serif,DejaVu Serif Condensed:style=Condensed,Book
/home/timmy/.guix-profile/share/fonts/truetype/DejaVuSans-Bold.ttf: DejaVu Sans:style=Bold
/home/timmy/.guix-profile/share/fonts/truetype/DejaVuMathTeXGyre.ttf: DejaVu Math TeX Gyre:style=Regular
/home/timmy/.guix-profile/share/fonts/truetype/DejaVuSerif-BoldItalic.ttf: DejaVu Serif:style=Bold Italic
/gnu/store/7y3lvk3xf4im8n44337mc6y0ccysvfia-font-dejavu-2.37/share/fonts/truetype/DejaVuSans.ttf: DejaVu Sans:style=Book
/gnu/store/7y3lvk3xf4im8n44337mc6y0ccysvfia-font-dejavu-2.37/share/fonts/truetype/DejaVuSerif-Bold.ttf: DejaVu Serif:style=Bold
/gnu/store/7y3lvk3xf4im8n44337mc6y0ccysvfia-font-dejavu-2.37/share/fonts/truetype/DejaVuSerif-BoldItalic.ttf: DejaVu Serif:style=Bold Italic
/gnu/store/7y3lvk3xf4im8n44337mc6y0ccysvfia-font-dejavu-2.37/share/fonts/truetype/DejaVuSerifCondensed-Bold.ttf: DejaVu Serif,DejaVu Serif Condensed:style=Condensed Bold,Bold
/home/timmy/.guix-profile/share/fonts/truetype/DejaVuSansCondensed.ttf: DejaVu Sans,DejaVu Sans Condensed:style=Condensed,Book
/home/timmy/.guix-profile/share/fonts/truetype/DejaVuSerifCondensed-BoldItalic.ttf: DejaVu Serif,DejaVu Serif Condensed:style=Condensed Bold Italic,Bold Italic
/home/timmy/.guix-profile/share/fonts/truetype/DejaVuSerifCondensed.ttf: DejaVu Serif,DejaVu Serif Condensed:style=Condensed,Book
/home/timmy/.guix-profile/share/fonts/truetype/DejaVuSansCondensed-Bold.ttf: DejaVu Sans,DejaVu Sans Condensed:style=Condensed Bold,Bold
/gnu/store/7y3lvk3xf4im8n44337mc6y0ccysvfia-font-dejavu-2.37/share/fonts/truetype/DejaVuSans-Bold.ttf: DejaVu Sans:style=Bold
/gnu/store/7y3lvk3xf4im8n44337mc6y0ccysvfia-font-dejavu-2.37/share/fonts/truetype/DejaVuSansCondensed-Oblique.ttf: DejaVu Sans,DejaVu Sans Condensed:style=Condensed Oblique,Oblique
/gnu/store/7y3lvk3xf4im8n44337mc6y0ccysvfia-font-dejavu-2.37/share/fonts/truetype/DejaVuMathTeXGyre.ttf: DejaVu Math TeX Gyre:style=Regular
/home/timmy/.guix-profile/share/fonts/truetype/DejaVuSansMono-Oblique.ttf: DejaVu Sans Mono:style=Oblique
/gnu/store/7y3lvk3xf4im8n44337mc6y0ccysvfia-font-dejavu-2.37/share/fonts/truetype/DejaVuSansMono-Oblique.ttf: DejaVu Sans Mono:style=Oblique
/gnu/store/7y3lvk3xf4im8n44337mc6y0ccysvfia-font-dejavu-2.37/share/fonts/truetype/DejaVuSans-ExtraLight.ttf: DejaVu Sans,DejaVu Sans Light:style=ExtraLight
/home/timmy/.guix-profile/share/fonts/truetype/DejaVuSansMono.ttf: DejaVu Sans Mono:style=Book
/home/timmy/.guix-profile/share/fonts/truetype/DejaVuSansMono-BoldOblique.ttf: DejaVu Sans Mono:style=Bold Oblique
/gnu/store/7y3lvk3xf4im8n44337mc6y0ccysvfia-font-dejavu-2.37/share/fonts/truetype/DejaVuSansMono.ttf: DejaVu Sans Mono:style=Book
/gnu/store/7y3lvk3xf4im8n44337mc6y0ccysvfia-font-dejavu-2.37/share/fonts/truetype/DejaVuSans-BoldOblique.ttf: DejaVu Sans:style=Bold Oblique
/gnu/store/7y3lvk3xf4im8n44337mc6y0ccysvfia-font-dejavu-2.37/share/fonts/truetype/DejaVuSerif-Italic.ttf: DejaVu Serif:style=Italic
/home/timmy/.guix-profile/share/fonts/truetype/DejaVuSansMono-Bold.ttf: DejaVu Sans Mono:style=Bold

/home/timmy [timmy@timmy-4570] [21:40]
> icecat

(/gnu/store/ah7asj0z9hxkl1vwy4lfm99vc16m203v-icecat-78.8.0-guix0-preview1/lib/icecat/.icecat-real:2464125): Pango-WARNING **: 04:40:12.958: failed to create cairo scaled font, expect ugly output. the offending font is 'DejaVu Sans 9.9990234375'

(/gnu/store/ah7asj0z9hxkl1vwy4lfm99vc16m203v-icecat-78.8.0-guix0-preview1/lib/icecat/.icecat-real:2464125): Pango-WARNING **: 04:40:12.958: font_face status is: file not found

(/gnu/store/ah7asj0z9hxkl1vwy4lfm99vc16m203v-icecat-78.8.0-guix0-preview1/lib/icecat/.icecat-real:2464125): Pango-WARNING **: 04:40:12.958: scaled_font status is: file not found

(/gnu/store/ah7asj0z9hxkl1vwy4lfm99vc16m203v-icecat-78.8.0-guix0-preview1/lib/icecat/.icecat-real:2464125): Pango-WARNING **: 04:40:12.960: failed to create cairo scaled font, expect ugly output. the offending font is 'DejaVu Sans 9.9990234375'

(/gnu/store/ah7asj0z9hxkl1vwy4lfm99vc16m203v-icecat-78.8.0-guix0-preview1/lib/icecat/.icecat-real:2464125): Pango-WARNING **: 04:40:12.960: font_face status is: file not found

(/gnu/store/ah7asj0z9hxkl1vwy4lfm99vc16m203v-icecat-78.8.0-guix0-preview1/lib/icecat/.icecat-real:2464125): Pango-WARNING **: 04:40:12.960: scaled_font status is: file not found
JavaScript error: resource://activity-stream/lib/Screenshots.jsm, line 127: TypeError: cache is undefined
JavaScript error: resource://activity-stream/lib/Screenshots.jsm, line 127: TypeError: cache is undefined
JavaScript error: resource://activity-stream/lib/Screenshots.jsm, line 127: TypeError: cache is undefined
JavaScript error: resource://activity-stream/lib/Screenshots.jsm, line 127: TypeError: cache is undefined
JavaScript error: resource://activity-stream/lib/Screenshots.jsm, line 127: TypeError: cache is undefined

(/gnu/store/ah7asj0z9hxkl1vwy4lfm99vc16m203v-icecat-78.8.0-guix0-preview1/lib/icecat/.icecat-real:2464183): Pango-WARNING **: 04:40:13.372: failed to create cairo scaled font, expect ugly output. the offending font is 'DejaVu Sans 9.9990234375'

(/gnu/store/ah7asj0z9hxkl1vwy4lfm99vc16m203v-icecat-78.8.0-guix0-preview1/lib/icecat/.icecat-real:2464183): Pango-WARNING **: 04:40:13.372: font_face status is: file not found

(/gnu/store/ah7asj0z9hxkl1vwy4lfm99vc16m203v-icecat-78.8.0-guix0-preview1/lib/icecat/.icecat-real:2464183): Pango-WARNING **: 04:40:13.372: scaled_font status is: file not found

(/gnu/store/ah7asj0z9hxkl1vwy4lfm99vc16m203v-icecat-78.8.0-guix0-preview1/lib/icecat/.icecat-real:2464183): Pango-WARNING **: 04:40:13.376: failed to create cairo scaled font, expect ugly output. the offending font is 'DejaVu Sans 9.9990234375'

(/gnu/store/ah7asj0z9hxkl1vwy4lfm99vc16m203v-icecat-78.8.0-guix0-preview1/lib/icecat/.icecat-real:2464183): Pango-WARNING **: 04:40:13.376: font_face status is: file not found

(/gnu/store/ah7asj0z9hxkl1vwy4lfm99vc16m203v-icecat-78.8.0-guix0-preview1/lib/icecat/.icecat-real:2464183): Pango-WARNING **: 04:40:13.376: scaled_font status is: file not found