Subject: bug#42162: Recovering source tarballs

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2020 17:37:17 +0100

Hi,

On Tue, 3 Nov 2020 at 15:26, Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:

>   2. Have a Cuirass job running on ci.guix.gnu.org to build and publish
>      the disarchive-db.

One question is: how does the database scale?  And only the real world
can show it. ;-)

> Ludo’, who’s still very much excited about these perspectives!

Sounds awesome!

On my side, I asked twice on #swh-devel if it is possible to setup a
higher rate limit for one specific machine.  I have in mind one
machine located at my place (Univ. Paris, ex Paris 7 Diderot) because
of proximity and because I want to generate (script) some report about
how much Guix is in SWH.  Whatever!
Instead, we could ask for Berlin or for one machine of INRIA Bordeaux,
maybe the machine running guix.gnu.org or the one running
hpc.guix.info.  WDYT?

BTW, not related to tarballs and I have not worked so much on (running
out of time), but I would like to integrate hg-fetch and svn-fetch
with SWH, first to "guix lint -c archival" then second to
sources.json.  The save seems not so hard, but the lookup needs some
experiments with the SWH API.
The big picture is to have all the ingestion of the Guix packages done
by the automatically generated sources.json file and not via
time-to-time "guix lint -c archival" (should be recommended for custom
channels).

All the best,
simon