Subject: bug#42162: gforge.inria.fr to be taken off-line in Dec. 2020

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2021 19:50:27 +0200

Hi Ludo,

On Mon, 04 Oct 2021 at 17:59, Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Believe it or not, gforge.inria.fr was finally phased out on
> Sept. 30th.  And believe it or not, despite all the work and all the
> chat :-), we lost the source tarball of Scotch 6.1.1 for a short period
> of time (I found a copy and uploaded it to berlin a couple of hours
> ago).

Euh, I do not understand.  From bug#43442 [1] on Wed, 16 Sep 2020,
Scotch was not missing.  And from [2] neither.

Nah, the hole is the (double) update (from 6.0.6 to 6.1.0 then 6.1.1)
without manually taking care of this bug report; by switching from
url-fetch to git-fetch for instance.  Somehow, it was bounded to happen
because we lack automatic tools despite the fact they are there.

Indeed, hard to believe. :-)

As I am asking in this thread [3], the Guix project has the ressource,
storage speaking, to archive these tarballs -- waiting a robust
long-term automatic system.  But we (the Guix projet) cannot because we
duplicate the effort on keeping twice all the build outputs.  Somehow,
between Berlin and Bordeaux, coherent policies for conservancy are
missing. IMHO.

1: <http://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/43442>
2: <http://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/42162#0>
3: <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2021-09/msg00174.html>

> All this to say that we must really get our act together with Disarchive
> :-), and salvage all these tarballs until then.

Definetly!  We are witnesssing missing tarballs here.  But many more
could be missing from Berlin or Bordeaux and also upstream should have
disappeared.

Cheers,
simon