Subject: 26.3; Stuck on saving "Clipboard to x clipboard Manager"

From: Sarthak Adhikari <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2020 15:01:11 +0545

In the emacs -Q window, I did the following:
1) Type the text "asd"
2) C-a to set the marker at the first character
3) C-e  to set the marker till the last character
4) C-w to kill the region
5) C-x C-c to exit emacs

After performing step 5, my emacs editor displays "Saving clipboard to X
Clipboard manager..." and stops responding. I have to manually perform a
"kill -9" from the terminal to quit emacs if it stops responding this way.

My init.el only has one entry:
(setq x-select-enable-clipboard t)

Killing text from emacs and pasting in on other applications(for eg:
Chrome) works fine. The problem only occurs when I try to exit emacs and
the problem only occurs on those sessions in which I had killed text from
within emacs.

In GNU Emacs 26.3 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.18.9)
 of 2020-06-21 built on sarthak-pc
Repository revision: 9796705f9498fd44dd96fd109e6409ca19a4d0d0
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11804000
System Description: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_MONETARY: ne_NP
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: ne_NP
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS:
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY GNUTLS LIBXML2
FREETYPE XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM THREADS

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib dired dired-loaddefs
format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg
epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils elec-pair time-date
mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 96598 5472)
 (symbols 48 20249 1)
 (miscs 40 65 93)
 (strings 32 28299 965)
 (string-bytes 1 745934)
 (vectors 16 13898)
 (vector-slots 8 500892 8318)
 (floats 8 49 68)
 (intervals 56 198 0)
 (buffers 992 12)
 (heap 1024 40833 1192))