Subject: bug#42145: vc-git file order mismatch between vc-dir and vc-diff

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2020 01:44:15 +0300

On 02.07.2020 00:44, Juri Linkov wrote:
 >> 'git diff' has a '-O' argument, which accepts <orderfile>. Maybe
 >> it'll help, but I kind of doubt that. Ideas welcome.

 > Maybe it's possible to write a diff-mode function to sort file hunks
 > in
 > vc-diff output buffer?  Maybe by just giving the right file-beginning
 > regexp to sort-subr?

Which sort-subr?

Overall, it sounds possible. But I would be careful about making the 
display of long diffs slower.

>> The idea is, you open a diff, maybe split some of the hunks, kill the ones
>> you don't need (diff-mode supports all these operations), and then commit
>> the remaining ones, from multiple files, if needed. Seems like a good
>> replacement for 'git add -p' for Emacs power users.
> But I wonder how it could handle binary files where git-diff output says just
> "Binary files differ".

Perhaps it wouldn't.

Or perhaps it would check them in wholesale, without choosing individual 
pieces inside.