Subject: Re: [bug#42123] [PATCH] linux-libre: Enable module compression.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2020 14:20:58 +0200

Hello!

Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Adding (guix zlib) as a dependency of (gnu build linux-modules) also
> drags (guix config). That's an issue because there are a lot of
> derivations including (gnu build linux-modules) without deleting/mocking
> (guix config).
>
> That's for instance the case with "expression->initrd", and it explains
> why the installation test is trying to rebuild the initrd.
>
> I see two solutions here:
>
> * Delete/mock (guix config) in every derivation including (gnu build
> linux-modules) or any other build module that includes it. Not ideal
> because there are quite numerous.
>
> * Do not use (guix zlib) but a raw "gzip -cd" pipe in (gnu build
> linux-modules). It works but it way slower.

I don’t have other ideas, but both solutions sound good to me.  Using
(guix zlib) is slightly more “elegant” IMO, but no big deal.  I don’t
expect any significant difference from the use of in-process
decompression, unless we really have to go and decompress many modules
in a row.

Thanks,
Ludo’.