Subject: [bug#42123] [PATCH] linux-libre: Enable module compression.

From: Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2020 10:48:58 +0200

Hey Ludo,

> There other Scheme bits LGTM!
>
> (I don’t really know about Linux-libre but you do!)

Thanks a lot for reviewing :) I took all your remarks into
account. Regarding the test issue I'm describing in this thread, I now
have an understanding of the situation.

Adding (guix zlib) as a dependency of (gnu build linux-modules) also
drags (guix config). That's an issue because there are a lot of
derivations including (gnu build linux-modules) without deleting/mocking
(guix config).

That's for instance the case with "expression->initrd", and it explains
why the installation test is trying to rebuild the initrd.

I see two solutions here:

* Delete/mock (guix config) in every derivation including (gnu build
linux-modules) or any other build module that includes it. Not ideal
because there are quite numerous.

* Do not use (guix zlib) but a raw "gzip -cd" pipe in (gnu build
linux-modules). It works but it way slower.
  
A third solution would be nice here :)

WDYT?

Thanks,

Mathieu