Subject: bug#42108: 28.0.50; treemacs no longer work on native-comp branch

From: Andrey Orst <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2020 13:48:15 +0300

Some commits ago, I'm not sure exactly when, Emacs compiled with native
compilation branch no longer able to display Treemacs buffer. When
trying open Treemacs I can see the error message:

    Wrong type argument: stringp, nil

Here's minimal init.el:

    (defvar package-archives)
    (setq package-archives
          '(("gnu" . "https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/")
            ("melpa" . "https://melpa.org/packages/")))

    (package-initialize)
    (package-refresh-contents)

    (unless (package-installed-p 'treemacs)
      (package-install 'treemacs))

    (treemacs)

This will automatically download and install treemacs, and run it,
however the treemacs buffer is empty, and nothing works.

If I switch to current master branch and recompile Emacs, then Treemacs
works as expected, so I assume it is a native-comp branch bug.

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.13,
cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2020-06-28 built on toolbox
Repository revision: 0eedb5af0b9f505dda9418323c74e992a40e5585
Repository branch: feature/native-comp
Windowing system distributor 'Fedora Project', version 11.0.12008000
System Description: Fedora 32 (Workstation Edition)

Recent messages:
Checking
/home/andreyorst/.emacs.d/elpa/treemacs-20200625.2056/icons/default/svgrepo...
Checking
/home/andreyorst/.emacs.d/elpa/treemacs-20200625.2056/icons/default/vsc...
Done (Total of 28 files compiled, 2 skipped)
Package ‘treemacs’ installed.
Saving file /home/andreyorst/.emacs.d/init.el...
Wrote /home/andreyorst/.emacs.d/init.el
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Wrong type argument: stringp, nil
Quit
Making completion list... [2 times]

Configured using:
 'configure --with-nativecomp --without-pop
 --prefix=/home/andreyorst/.local/emacs
 --bindir=/home/andreyorst/.local/bin
 '--program-transform-name=s/^ctags$/ctags.emacs/''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG CAIRO SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY
INOTIFY LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ LIBOTF ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS JSON PDUMPER LCMS2
GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  treemacs-filewatch-mode: t
  treemacs-follow-mode: t
  treemacs-fringe-indicator-mode: t
  treemacs-git-mode: deferred
  override-global-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail cus-edit cus-start cus-load
wid-edit treemacs treemacs-header-line treemacs-compatibility
treemacs-mode treemacs-bookmarks warnings thunk treemacs-interface
treemacs-extensions treemacs-persistence treemacs-mouse-interface
treemacs-tag-follow-mode treemacs-filewatch-mode treemacs-tags
treemacs-faces imenu xref project filenotify treemacs-follow-mode
treemacs-rendering treemacs-visuals treemacs-fringe-indicator pulse
treemacs-async treemacs-icons treemacs-themes bookmark pp
treemacs-workspaces treemacs-scope treemacs-dom treemacs-core-utils
treemacs-macros treemacs-logging treemacs-customization ace-window f
hl-line pfuture ht s avy rx inline edmacro kmacro org ob ob-tangle
ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-footnote org-src ob-comint
org-pcomplete pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline
org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-table ol org-keys
org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs format-spec find-func cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs hydra advice lv dash cl-extra help-mode use-package-ensure
use-package-delight use-package-diminish use-package-bind-key bind-key
use-package-core info tar-mode arc-mode archive-mode easy-mmode compile
comint ansi-color ring autoload radix-tree lisp-mnt mm-archive message
dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config
gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs text-property-search time-date mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-utils gnutls
network-stream url-http mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util
ietf-drums mail-prsvr url-gw nsm rmc puny url-cache url-auth url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-domsuf url-util mailcap finder-inf package easymenu browse-url
url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map url-vars seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face pcase macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1
md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 330086 73278)
 (symbols 48 24681 57)
 (strings 32 106609 5332)
 (string-bytes 1 3050345)
 (vectors 16 38569)
 (vector-slots 8 862927 65016)
 (floats 8 440 527)
 (intervals 56 1333 0)
 (buffers 992 15))

-- 
Best regards,
Andrey Orst