Subject: bug#42099: Emacs -nw Turkish Layout Problem

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2020 17:19:26 +0300

> From: Yigit Emre Sahinoglu <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2020 04:23:59 +0300
> 
> When using emacs from terminal with -nw option (with or without -Q),
> some characters are not working properly. It's somehow keyboard layout
> half messed up. Characters like ö,ç,ü are working but ş (U+015F), Ş (U+15E),
> ğ (U+011E) and Ğ (U+011F) are not working. ş is return _ and Ş is return ^. i is working but instead of İ, 0 is
> returned. Changing the coding system cp1254
> (Windows Turkish) doesn't have any effect. It's discovered by 
> https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/hgvcth/cant_type_the_characters_%C5%9F_or_%C4%9F_in_emacs_nw_on/

What is the console input and output codepages on that system?  If you
are not sure, use the functions w32-get-console-codepage and
w32-get-console-output-codepage to find out.

Also, what is the font that the Command Prompt window is using on that
system, and does it support those characters? what happens if you
configure the Command Prompt window to use the Lucida Console font,
for example?

And finally, please go to the place where you insert one of the
problematic characters and type "C-x =" -- does Emacs show in the echo
area the correct codepoint?

>From the Reddit discussion, I understand that you are using some
non-default console program to display text-mode frames.  If so,
please make sure to try all of the above from the default Command
Prompt window that runs the default Windows shell cmd.exe.