Subject: bug#4208: 23.1; play-sound-file does not work

From: Tom Tromey <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 08:33:20 -0600

>>>>> "Jan" == Jan Djärv <[email-masked]> writes:

Tom> I'm using Emacs 23 on Fedora 11.

Jan> This error shows up when Emacs tries to open the old OSS based
Jan> sound device.  This isn't surprising if pulseaudio is running.

Thanks.

Jan> But you should be able to use ALSA instead.  But this message
Jan> indicates that HAVE_ALSA isn't defined.  Have you installed ALSA
Jan> development libraries?

I'm just using the Fedora RPM, so I don't know.
I'll report it to the Fedora Emacs maintainer, perhaps it is just a
missing BuildRequires.

Jan> Also try
Jan> % aplay <soundfile>
Jan> where <soundfile> is some file.  If it works you have ALSA and Emacs
Jan> should use that.

Yes, this works.

Tom