Subject: bug#42076: SSL_CERT_* variables and GVFS (and probably more) are not initialized if you don't use GDM

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2022 23:36:03 -0400

Hi raingloom,

raingloom <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Sat, 27 Jun 2020 11:53:01 +0200
> Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>> 
>> Thanks for the bug report.  How are these two things related?  Did 
>> GVFS start working when you fixed your certs?  Is GVFS failing 
>> because of other unset search paths?  They should be tracked as 
>> separate bug #s otherwise.
>
> No idea, I don't know enough about GVFS to know how it's initalized.
> But this falls into the same category for me, ie.: a bunch of things
> are not initalized.
> But actually I've already made a bug report about it, it's just that
> nobody replied to it. See 41927.

I agree the user experience often suffers from the fact that:

1. it's not obvious that consumers applications are the ones typically
causing environment variables to be defined. 

2. the system and user profiles are not merged, which often lead to
surprises (I have this in my operating-system, and that in my user
profile, and they don't work together!).

1. would be (mostly?) addressed with #22138, and 2. with #20255.  If
you'd like to participate in fixing these, there are at least a patch to
try in 20255, I believe.

Given these issues are known and tracked already, I'll close this bug.

Thanks,

Maxim