Subject: bug#49106: closed (Re: CUPS :631/admin interface freezes)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 02:19:03 +0000

Your bug report

#42068: slow load for cups /admin page

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
42068: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=42068
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: CUPS :631/admin interface freezes
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 04:18:45 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I've pushed some patches I've been using since ‘forever’ to 
core-updates.  They simply remove the entire right-hand ‘Server’ 
form, and short-circuit the logic behind it that caused the long 
delays.

An older work-around I tried was to simply link to the store 
cupsd.conf in /etc/cups.  This solves the immediate problem, and 
even allows viewing (not editing) a few settings in said form. 
It's an option for those who can't wait for core-updates to be 
merged (don't forget to delete it next year… :-).

However, doing so merely hides the fact that this code is broken 
with -c FILE by effectively circumventing the option in a very 
sneaky way.  A step back, not forward.

Kind regards,

T G-R

Subject: slow load for cups /admin page
From: Christopher Howard <[email-masked]>
To: bug-guix <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2021 16:43:10 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi, ever since I have started using Guix a few years ago, I have always
found that the cups page at http://127.0.0.1:631/admin load very
slowly, with nothing appearing on the Web browser page for something
like two minutes. The home page (http://127.0.01:631) loads very
quickly, and also other pages you select after you get to the admin
page (e.g., modifying a printer) load quickly. I have had this problem
across multiple Guix computers using different printers. I am wondering
if all CUPS installations in the world have this problem, which seems
unlikely, or if it is something specific to the Guix service
configuration.
This is the cups service entry for my system:
    (service cups-service-type	     (cups-configuration	      (
web-interface? #t)	      (log-level 'debug)	      (access-
log-level 'all)	      (extensions	       (list hplip-minimal
cups-filters))))
My system information:
OS: Guix System 9703a51048fbc1d322595d676ff0d63b1eb89304 x86_64 Host:
OptiPlex 9020 00 Kernel: 5.12.8-gnu Uptime: 1 day, 1 hour, 15
mins Packages: 93 (guix-system), 109 (guix-user) Shell: bash
5.0.16 Resolution: 1920x1080 DE: GNOME Theme: Adwaita [GTK2/3] Icons:
Adwaita [GTK2/3] Terminal: kitty CPU: Intel i5-4570 (4) @ 3.600GHz GPU:
Intel HD Graphics GPU: AMD ATI Radeon HD 8490 / R5 235X OEM Memory:
3399MiB / 7869MiB
Thank you,
Christopher Howard
https://librehacker.com id="-x-evo-selection-start-marker">