Subject: bug#42068: closed (Re: CUPS :631/admin interface freezes)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 02:19:02 +0000

Your bug report

#42068: CUPS :631/admin interface freezes

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
42068: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=42068
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: CUPS :631/admin interface freezes
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 04:18:45 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I've pushed some patches I've been using since ‘forever’ to 
core-updates.  They simply remove the entire right-hand ‘Server’ 
form, and short-circuit the logic behind it that caused the long 
delays.

An older work-around I tried was to simply link to the store 
cupsd.conf in /etc/cups.  This solves the immediate problem, and 
even allows viewing (not editing) a few settings in said form. 
It's an option for those who can't wait for core-updates to be 
merged (don't forget to delete it next year… :-).

However, doing so merely hides the fact that this code is broken 
with -c FILE by effectively circumventing the option in a very 
sneaky way.  A step back, not forward.

Kind regards,

T G-R

Subject: CUPS :631/admin interface freezes
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2020 23:18:26 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Guix,

When visiting localhost:631/admin, the server appears to freeze 
(blank page).  However, exactly 2 minutes later content is served 
and buttons like ‘Find New Printer’ [appear to] work without 
delay.

Some error_log debug output below.  Note the 2 neat 1-minute 
time-outs.

It's likely that this is an upstream bug (but not quite this [1]). 
I'll try upgrading CUPS and gathering more infos.

Kind regards,

T G-R

[1]: https://github.com/apple/cups/issues/5755

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
D [26/Jun/2020:22:30:44 +0200] [Client 1199] Waiting for CGI data.
D [26/Jun/2020:22:30:44 +0200] [CGI] admin.cgi started...
D [26/Jun/2020:22:30:44 +0200] [CGI] http=0x572bbd388140
D [26/Jun/2020:22:30:44 +0200] [CGI] cgiSetVariable: 
SECTION=\"admin\"
D [26/Jun/2020:22:30:44 +0200] [CGI] cgiSetVariable: 
REFRESH_PAGE=\"\"
D [26/Jun/2020:22:30:44 +0200] [CGI] org.cups.sid cookie not 
found, initializing!
D [26/Jun/2020:22:30:44 +0200] [CGI] org.cups.sid cookie is 
\"7be9c6067fac85f5930e650697b46a8e\"
D [26/Jun/2020:22:30:44 +0200] [CGI] No form data, showing main 
menu...
D [26/Jun/2020:22:31:44 +0200] Report: clients=100
D [26/Jun/2020:22:31:44 +0200] Report: jobs=0
D [26/Jun/2020:22:31:44 +0200] Report: jobs-active=0
D [26/Jun/2020:22:31:44 +0200] Report: printers=1
D [26/Jun/2020:22:31:44 +0200] Report: 
stringpool-string-count=2150
D [26/Jun/2020:22:31:44 +0200] Report: 
stringpool-alloc-bytes=14480
D [26/Jun/2020:22:31:44 +0200] Report: 
stringpool-total-bytes=43296
D [26/Jun/2020:22:32:44 +0200] [Client 807] Closing on unexpected 
HTTP read state HTTP_STATE_GET_SEND.
D [26/Jun/2020:22:32:44 +0200] [Client 807] Closing connection.
D [26/Jun/2020:22:32:44 +0200] cupsdSetBusyState: newbusy="Active 
clients", busy="Active clients"
I [26/Jun/2020:22:32:44 +0200] Resuming new connection 
processing...
D [26/Jun/2020:22:32:44 +0200] Report: clients=99
D [26/Jun/2020:22:32:44 +0200] Report: jobs=0
D [26/Jun/2020:22:32:44 +0200] Report: jobs-active=0
D [26/Jun/2020:22:32:44 +0200] Report: printers=1
D [26/Jun/2020:22:32:44 +0200] Report: 
stringpool-string-count=2150
D [26/Jun/2020:22:32:44 +0200] Report: 
stringpool-alloc-bytes=14480
D [26/Jun/2020:22:32:44 +0200] Report: 
stringpool-total-bytes=43296
D [26/Jun/2020:22:32:44 +0200] cupsdSetBusyState: newbusy="Active 
clients", busy="Active clients"
D [26/Jun/2020:22:32:44 +0200] [Client 1200] Server address is 
"/var/run/cups/cups.sock".
D [26/Jun/2020:22:32:44 +0200] [Client 1200] Accepted from 
localhost (Domain)
D [26/Jun/2020:22:32:44 +0200] [Client 1200] Waiting for request.
W [26/Jun/2020:22:32:44 +0200] Max clients reached, holding new 
connections...
D [26/Jun/2020:22:32:44 +0200] [Client 1200] GET 
/admin/conf/cupsd.conf HTTP/1.1
D [26/Jun/2020:22:32:44 +0200] cupsdSetBusyState: newbusy="Active 
clients", busy="Active clients"
D [26/Jun/2020:22:32:44 +0200] [Client 1200] Read: status=200, 
state=3
D [26/Jun/2020:22:32:44 +0200] [Client 1200] No authentication 
data provided.
D [26/Jun/2020:22:32:44 +0200] cupsdIsAuthorized: username=""
D [26/Jun/2020:22:32:44 +0200] [Client 1200] cupsdSendHeader: 
code=401, type="text/html", auth_type=0
D [26/Jun/2020:22:32:44 +0200] [Client 1200] WWW-Authenticate: 
Basic realm=\"CUPS\", PeerCred, Local trc=\"y\"
D [26/Jun/2020:22:32:44 +0200] [Client 1200] Closing connection.
D [26/Jun/2020:22:32:44 +0200] cupsdSetBusyState: newbusy="Active 
clients", busy="Active clients"
I [26/Jun/2020:22:32:44 +0200] Resuming new connection 
processing...
D [26/Jun/2020:22:32:44 +0200] [Client 811] Closing on unexpected 
HTTP read state HTTP_STATE_GET_SEND.
D [26/Jun/2020:22:32:44 +0200] [Client 811] Closing connection.
D [26/Jun/2020:22:32:44 +0200] cupsdSetBusyState: newbusy="Active 
clients", busy="Active clients"
D [26/Jun/2020:22:32:44 +0200] PID 7754 
(/gnu/store/w6wnki4glaxxwmdh56fqf4yis3k7n8yg-cups-server-bin/lib/cups/cg>
D [26/Jun/2020:22:32:44 +0200] [Client 815] Closing on unexpected 
HTTP read state HTTP_STATE_GET_SEND.
D [26/Jun/2020:22:32:44 +0200] [Client 815] Closing connection.
D [26/Jun/2020:22:32:44 +0200] cupsdSetBusyState: newbusy="Active 
clients", busy="Active clients"
D [26/Jun/2020:22:32:44 +0200] PID 7755 
(/gnu/store/w6wnki4glaxxwmdh56fqf4yis3k7n8yg-cups-server-bin/lib/cups/cg>
D [26/Jun/2020:22:32:44 +0200] [Client 819] Closing on unexpected 
HTTP read state HTTP_STATE_GET_SEND.
D [26/Jun/2020:22:32:44 +0200] [Client 819] Closing connection.
D [26/Jun/2020:22:32:44 +0200] cupsdSetBusyState: newbusy="Active 
clients", busy="Active clients"
D [26/Jun/2020:22:32:44 +0200] PID 7756 
(/gnu/store/w6wnki4glaxxwmdh56fqf4yis3k7n8yg-cups-server-bin/lib/cups/cg>
D [26/Jun/2020:22:32:44 +0200] [Client 823] Closing on unexpected 
HTTP read state HTTP_STATE_GET_SEND.
D [26/Jun/2020:22:32:44 +0200] [Client 823] Closing connection.
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---