Subject: bug#42064: 28.0.50; German "Sharp S" is capitalized inconsistenly

From: Werner LEMBERG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2020 08:31:45 +0200 (CEST)

>>> > In 2016, the Council for German Orthography proposed the
>>> > introduction of optional use of ẞ in its ruleset (i.e. variants
>>> > STRASSE vs. STRAẞE would be accepted as equally valid).[19] The
>>> > rule was officially adopted in 2017.[20]
>>>
>>> [0] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%9F#Capital_form
>>
>> I know, but German input methods are not only for Germany, and
>> AFAIR other German-speaking countries didn't follow suit.
> 
> So it sounds like this is something we can't do much about, at the
> very least not without help from a German language expert
> (presumably one familiar with German as written in Germany,
> Switzerland and Austria).

AFAICS, the behaviour of the German postfix input method is fully
correct.  The default lowercase/uppercase pairing is 'ß/SS'. 'ẞ'
should not be a target of 'uppercase-fication'; its use is very
special.[*]

> Does that mean that this is a wontfix?

I suggest so.

    Werner

[*] Mainly a solution to indicate 'ß' in names that have to be written
    in uppercase letters.  Consider the names 'Strauss' and 'Strauß',
    which both occur in German and have to be distinguished in
    passports, where family names are to be written in uppercase:
    'STRAUSS' and 'STRAUẞ'.  However, in every other context, they
    should be both uppercased as 'STRAUSS'.