Subject: bug#42064: 28.0.50; German "Sharp S" is capitalized inconsistenly

From: "Philip K." <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2020 20:44:55 +0200

The german "Sharp S" (ß), seems to be capitalized inconsistenly,
depending on the system:

- The german postfix input method, typing "SZ" inserts "ẞ"
- If a buffer already contains a "ß", running upcase-dwim generates
  "SS". Lowercasing this results in "ss" unsurprisingly, while "ẞ"
  generates "ß".

Both behaviours are fine in their own right, but don't seem to make a
lot of sense together.

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 5, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.5, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2020-06-24 built on bulbul
Repository revision: 9bff3127d70a220e8b63aaf89dce2d5e9e66b0f6
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12004000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)

Recent messages:
Type C-c C-c to finish, or C-c C-k to cancel
Saving file /home/phi/code/elisp/dumb-jump/.git/COMMIT_EDITMSG...
Wrote /home/phi/code/elisp/dumb-jump/.git/COMMIT_EDITMSG
Git finished
Running git push -v origin master:refs/heads/master
Quit
Git finished
Quit
Mark set
View mode: type C-h for help, h for commands, q to quit.

Configured using:
 'configure 'CFLAGS=-Wall -Wextra -Wformat -Wformat-security''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG CAIRO SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY
INOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ M17N_FLT LIBOTF
ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS LIBSYSTEMD
PDUMPER LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Markdown

Minor modes in effect:
  global-magit-file-mode: t
  magit-file-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  auto-revert-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
  flyspell-mode: t
  TeX-PDF-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  erc-list-mode: t
  erc-menu-mode: t
  erc-autojoin-mode: t
  erc-ring-mode: t
  erc-networks-mode: t
  erc-pcomplete-mode: t
  erc-track-mode: t
  erc-track-minor-mode: t
  erc-match-mode: t
  erc-button-mode: t
  erc-fill-mode: t
  erc-stamp-mode: t
  erc-netsplit-mode: t
  ivy-mode: t
  erc-irccontrols-mode: t
  erc-noncommands-mode: t
  erc-move-to-prompt-mode: t
  erc-readonly-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: [## 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0]
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  auto-fill-function: do-auto-fill
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/phi/.emacs.d/elpa/swiper-0.13.0/swiper hides /home/phi/.emacs.d/elpa/ivy-0.13.0/swiper

Features:
(shadow emacsbug markdown-mode geiser-mode geiser-xref geiser-compile
geiser-debug geiser-gambit geiser-chibi geiser-mit geiser-chez
geiser-chicken geiser-racket geiser-guile info-look geiser geiser-repl
geiser-image geiser-company geiser-doc geiser-menu geiser-edit
geiser-completion geiser-autodoc geiser-eval geiser-connection
geiser-syntax geiser-log geiser-popup geiser-impl geiser-custom
geiser-base scheme lisp-mnt timezone org-attach org-id calc-prog
cal-china lunar solar cal-dst cal-bahai cal-islam cal-hebrew diary-lib
diary-loaddefs cal-iso org-agenda org-duration org-clock debug backtrace
flow-fill git-rebase man calc-cplx calc-math calc-frac calc-vec calcalg2
calc-comb calc-poly calccomp calc-arith calc-misc calc-aent
slime-cl-indent cl-indent slime-hyperdoc slime-asdf grep slime-quicklisp
slime-fancy slime-trace-dialog slime-fontifying-fu slime-package-fu
slime-references slime-compiler-notes-tree slime-scratch
slime-presentations bridge slime-macrostep slime-mdot-fu
slime-enclosing-context slime-fuzzy slime-fancy-trace
slime-fancy-inspector slime-c-p-c slime-editing-commands slime-autodoc
slime-repl slime-parse rmailsum tabify whitespace magit-extras
magit-bookmark magit-submodule magit-obsolete magit-blame magit-stash
magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch magit-clone magit-remote
magit-commit magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree magit-tag
magit-merge magit-branch magit-reset magit-collab ghub-graphql treepy
gsexp ghub url-http url-gw url-auth let-alist magit-files magit-refs
magit-status magit magit-repos magit-apply magit-wip magit-log
which-func magit-diff magit-core magit-autorevert autorevert filenotify
magit-process magit-margin magit-mode git-commit magit-git magit-section
log-edit with-editor async-bytecomp async server calc-alg calc-ext
calc-menu calc calc-loaddefs calc-macs artist picture reporter rect
reposition rng-xsd xsd-regexp rng-cmpct rng-nxml rng-valid nxml-mode
nxml-outln nxml-rap ox-odt rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse rng-match rng-dt
rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-parse nxml-ns nxml-enc xmltok nxml-util ox-latex
ox-icalendar ox-html table ox-ascii ox-publish ox cdlatex misc
find-dired smerge-mode diff add-log log-view pcvs-util cl-print
help-at-pt ibuf-ext ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs pulse bug-reference
flyspell vc-mtn vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs vc vc-dispatcher
quail ispell em-unix em-term term ehelp em-script em-prompt em-ls
em-hist em-pred em-glob em-dirs esh-var em-cmpl em-basic em-banner
em-alias esh-mode eshell esh-cmd esh-ext esh-opt esh-proc esh-io esh-arg
esh-module esh-groups esh-util tramp-cmds vc-hg vc-bzr mhtml-mode
css-mode smie eww mm-url js imenu sgml-mode wdired magit-utils
magit-popup dash tramp-cache elfeed-link latexenc eieio-opt speedbar
ezimage dframe help-fns radix-tree two-column iso-transl pdf-view
pdf-cache pdf-info tq pdf-util tar-mode dired-aux rmailmm mm-archive
sort smiley gnus-cite mail-extr gnus-async gnus-bcklg qp gnus-ml
disp-table windmove nndraft nnmh gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score
score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime
smime dig nntp gnus-cache bang macrostep-c cmacexp macrostep nroff-mode
slime arc-mode archive-mode hyperspec cc-awk cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess
cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs preview
prv-emacs tex-buf font-latex texmathp latex latex-flymake flymake-proc
flymake warnings tex-ispell tex-style tex dbus crm tex-mode org-element
ol-eww ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus nnir gnus-sum gnus-group
gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 netrc
nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win ol-docview doc-view
jka-compr image-mode exif ol-bibtex bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m org ob
ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-footnote org-src
ob-comint org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline
org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-table ol org-keys
org-compat advice org-macs org-loaddefs find-func goto-addr view avy
hl-line elfeed-show elfeed-search message rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
shr svg dom elfeed-csv elfeed elfeed-curl url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf mailcap
elfeed-log elfeed-db elfeed-lib url-util avl-tree url-queue xml-query
xml misearch multi-isearch mule-util time-stamp ffap etags fileloop
generator xref project char-fold swiper vc-fossil python tramp-sh tramp
tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat shell
parse-time iso8601 ls-lisp bookmark vc-git diff-mode easy-mmode gnutls
network-stream puny nsm rmc erc-list erc-menu erc-join erc-ring
erc-networks erc-pcomplete pcomplete erc-track erc-match erc-button
erc-fill erc-stamp erc-netsplit epa-file epa derived epg epg-config
auth-source-pass cl-extra help-mode paredit init ivy delsel colir color
ivy-overlay edmacro kmacro rx pcase dired-x dired dired-loaddefs
holidays hol-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs erc-goodies erc
thingatpt pp erc-loaddefs erc-backend erc-compat format-spec gnus
nnheader gnus-util text-property-search time-date time sendmail rmail
rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
compile hippie-exp comint ansi-color elec-pair recentf tree-widget
saveplace savehist paren winner ring cus-edit cus-start cus-load
wid-edit finder-inf tex-site slime-autoloads info package easymenu
browse-url url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core
cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map url-vars seq
byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib tooltip eldoc
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win
x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit
x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1004119 173255)
 (symbols 48 78455 1)
 (strings 32 340391 34833)
 (string-bytes 1 11933058)
 (vectors 16 123417)
 (vector-slots 8 2642525 213470)
 (floats 8 3839 1827)
 (intervals 56 37213 1474)
 (buffers 992 144))

-- 
	Philip K.