Subject: bug#42059: 26.3; OpenBSD now has posix_openpt(3)

From: Jeremie Courreges-Anglas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2020 13:23:12 +0200

Hi,

[email-masked] here, I'm the maintainer of the GNU Emacs port in the
OpenBSD ports tree[0].

I can confirm what Yasuoka-san wrote, the OpenBSD project only provides
some kind of support for the two latest OpenBSD releases[1].  We highly
discourage the use of old OpenBSD releases.

As the maintainer of the Emacs port, OpenBSD 5.3 and older releases are
completely out of scope.  I mostly care about our development branch, if
security fixes in Emacs need to be adressed in our stable releases,
I would probably handle them as patches backported from newer Emacs
versions, not as updates to newer Emacs versions.

So as far as I am concerned the proposed change can land in any upcoming
Emacs release, the sooner the better.  Since Yasuoka-san is also an
OpenBSD developer he has already pushed this change in our Emacs port[2]
with my approval.  Many thanks to him!

[0] https://cvsweb.openbsd.org/ports/editors/emacs/Makefile?rev=1.94&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup
[1] https://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq5.html#Flavors
[2] https://cvsweb.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/ports/editors/emacs/patches/patch-configure.diff?r1=1.17&r2=1.18&f=h
-- 
jca | PGP : 0x1524E7EE / 5135 92C1 AD36 5293 2BDF  DDCC 0DFA 74AE 1524 E7EE