Subject: Re: bug#42059: 26.3; OpenBSD now has posix_openpt(3)

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2020 17:32:01 +0300

> Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2020 22:49:29 +0900 (JST)
> From: YASUOKA Masahiko <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> On Tue, 30 Jun 2020 13:52:21 +0200
> Mattias Engdegård <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > Thanks for the patch! I'd be happy to apply it, but first: can you
> > confirm that older OpenBSD versions are still able to build Emacs with
> > that patch applied, or argue that this is a lesser problem?
> 
> Although old versions might become not able to build Emacs with the
> patch, I suggest Emacs should have the patch.
> 
> Firstly the versions are too old.  posix_openpt(3) had been introduced
> to OpenBSD at OpenBSD 5.3, it was 7 years ago and 14 versions before
> the latest.  It was 6 years ago when the last version which doesn't
> have posix_openpt(3) became out of support.

Would it be possible to contact the OpenBSD developers and/or the
persons who prepare the Emacs distros for OpenBSD, and ask for their
opinion about this?  I mean, I wouldn't want to drop support for some
versions of an OS without at least consulting the relevant developers.

Thanks.