Subject: bug#42042: AUCTeX View command omits hyphens

From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2020 21:43:29 +0200

Hi Tommi,

> I'm trying to use the forward and backward search feature of AUCTeX
> using Synctex and Okular.  The search feature seems to work, at least
> into the editor-to-viewer direction.  However, I always need to
> manually add hyphens into the file name that the prompt suggests so
> that file names that include white space are not interpreted as
> multiple input files.  I would prefer if the View command would add
> the hyphens automatically, so that I would not need to insert them by
> hand every time.

I just tested using the current Git master and got as view command
suggestion

  okular --unique Test\ mit\ Leerzeichen.pdf#src:5"/home/horn/tmp/Test mit Leerzeichen.tex"

so the output filename "Test mit Leerzeichen.pdf" has been properly
quoted for my shell to interpret.  Essentially, we are basically just
using the standard Emacs function `shell-quote-argument' which should
add the right quoting for at least the common shells.

Which operating system and shell are you using?  And what does the
following evaluate to?

  (shell-quote-argument "Test with spaces.tex") <-- C-x C-e here!

Bye,
Tassilo

PS: When writing bug reports using M-x TeX-submit-bug-report RET, please
don't erase the automatically inserted OS/Emacs/config overview.