Subject: Re: bug#42028: [Feature Request] 27.0.91; Provide the ability dynamic modules to post events in emacs event loop

From: Ivan Yonchovski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2020 21:38:31 +0300

Eli Zaretskii writes:

>
> Your feature just asked for a way to queue events, it didn't say
> anything about doing that asynchronously, not from a function invoked
> by the main thread.  If you mean the latter, then it AFAIU would need
> a serious redesign of the Emacs event queue, to make it accessible
> from several threads running in parallel at once.

Yes, sorry about that. I didn't mention it explicitly in the bug report
it was described in more details in the linked article.

> What you describe is very different from how JIT font-lock works now.
> Which is why I asked the question: I know (more or less) how it works
> in other editors, I just don't yet understand well enough how
> something like that would fit into the existing fontification
> framework.  I hope there is a way of fitting it, because otherwise it
> would mean a serious surgery of the display engine as well, which will
> make the job significantly larger and harder.

IMO we are good here. At least on lsp-mode side we were able to
implement delayed semantic fontification as a result of async source.
But in lsp-mode case we are reseiving the messages from the server on
the UI thread.

Thanks,
Ivan