Subject: Re: [bug#42019] [PATCH 1/1] website: Add integrity to JSON sources.

From: Christopher Baines <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2020 20:35:24 +0100

zimoun <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Chris,
>
> On Mon, 29 Jun 2020 at 22:41, Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> zimoun <[email-masked]> skribis:
>>
>>> BTW, in the SWH picture and after a chat video with lewo, I do not
>>> think that the website is the right place.  Instead, it should go to
>>> ci.guix.gnu.org or data.guix.gnu.org.  Or maybe integrated with "guix
>>> publish".  Well, the next step is to have a collection of sources.json
>>> -- that the point of "revision".  WDYT?
>>
>> The Guix Data Service would be a natural place for ‘sources.json’ IMO.
>> Thoughts, Chris?
>
> If it goes to the GDS, then first let point me where to start. :-)

I think this does sound like a good use of the Guix Data
Service. Unfortunately, the sources of packages aren't currently stored
in the Guix Data Service database, so I'm guessing this will require
storing some new data, then working out how to present it.

A question maybe for you Simon, what would be the perfect data for this
particular use case? I gather it's something about the (source ...)
field in packages, probably for all the exported (plus maybe
not-exported packages).

> And second, it could be nice in the "near" future to have at least 2
> sources.json: one for the last commit refreshed every X minutes (or
> hours) and another one containing the concatenation of all the sources
> of Guix (at least the one reachable by guix time-machine i.e. after the
> big overhaul of Inferiors).  I will go on #swh-devel or reach lewo to
> know how "near" it is on SWH side.

Once you can get the data for an individual revision in the Guix Data
Service, it should be reasonably easy to just get the data for multiple
revisions, say all for the last week.

Chris