Subject: bug#42002: closed (Re: bug#42002: 'guix pull' build processes get SIGKILL on ARMv7)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2022 03:24:02 +0000

Your bug report

#42002: 'guix pull' build processes get SIGKILL on ARMv7

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
42002: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=42002
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#42002: 'guix pull' build processes get SIGKILL on ARMv7
From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
To: Efraim Flashner <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked],Léon Lain Delysid <[email-masked]>, "Bonface M. K." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2022 23:23:04 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

Efraim Flashner <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 03:38:39AM +0300, Bonface M. K. wrote:
>> Léon Lain Delysid <[email-masked]> writes:
>> 
>> > Oh! Yes, of course, I see!
>> > Yes, those little credit card sized one-chip computers are very low on resources.
>> > So I think it shouldn't build the programs itself but rather
>> > download the binaries everytime I "guix pull". What command line
>> > option should I use to only download the binaries instead of
>> > building everything myself? Could you please give me the command?
>> >
>> You could try: `guix pull --substitute-urls="https://berlin.guixsd.org
>> https://ci.guix.gnu.org https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org"`. Since you are on
>> Debian, you should authorize the servers. More of the authorization
>> here:
>> https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Substitute-Server-Authorization.html.
>> You could always dry-run your commands to see if the substitutes work.
>
> Actually, berlin.guixsd.org and ci.guix.gnu.org are the same server, and
> mirror.hydra.gnu.org was decommissioned a while ago. The second server
> for substitutes is https://bayfront.guix.gnu.org.
>
> I think the best option would be to make sure you run 'guix pull'
> targeting a derivation which has substitutes. If you check here¹ you can
> see if there's a substitute already available for armhf-linux and run
> 'guix pull --commit=the-commit-listed-in-the-link'. Right now, that
> would be 42a2ee1f9294614bd85892f2cc7318afb80b174c, which is actually the
> latest commit.
>
> ¹ https://ci.guix.gnu.org/jobset/guix-modular-master

Indeed.  To help with this, you could wrap your main guix channel with
the `channel-with-substitutes-available'; see info '(guix) Channels with
Substitutes'.

Thanks,

Closing.

Maxim

Subject: Bug: Signal kill during build
From: Léon Lain Delysid <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2020 14:28:33 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello! I'm having a problem on a Banana Pi M3 that runs Debian 10 Buster
(ARM like instruction set).
"guix pull" always results in failure with this message:

building
/gnu/store/3has7cgd39q9jb9a78vdzjcyycsa6z96-guix-packages-base.drv...
 76% [#######################################################
   ]builder for
`/gnu/store/3has7cgd39q9jb9a78vdzjcyycsa6z96-guix-packages-base.drv' failed
due to signal 9 (Killed)
build of /gnu/store/3has7cgd39q9jb9a78vdzjcyycsa6z96-guix-packages-base.drv
failed
View build log at
'/var/log/guix/drvs/3h/as7cgd39q9jb9a78vdzjcyycsa6z96-guix-packages-base.drv.bz2'.
cannot build derivation
`/gnu/store/z728xwhxnaczkjky15939zjp4v2pvrld-guix-cli.drv': 1 dependencies
couldn't be built
building
/gnu/store/rmbf654gah845f3hbzn9hdamn3xn1s25-guix-config-source.drv...
cannot build derivation
`/gnu/store/1i3w8dgf5lzapb8l59i3lriskcd8q30c-guix-packages-base-modules.drv':
1 dependencies couldn't be built
cannot build derivation
`/gnu/store/4rzrb0xwgh2achzijn6fsdkhgqych6br-guix-packages.drv': 1
dependencies couldn't be built
cannot build derivation
`/gnu/store/4hk3v9q8nlzy18xg6cklmrv1x1hi1f4j-guix-system-tests.drv': 1
dependencies couldn't be built
cannot build derivation
`/gnu/store/ha53vvwh6v1d68v1kj5m43csinxlrflc-guix-system.drv': 1
dependencies couldn't be built
cannot build derivation
`/gnu/store/3q6g7ppayihip0wxhghwkq2nc0qg8kd9-guix-fae72ebb4-modules.drv': 1
dependencies couldn't be built
cannot build derivation
`/gnu/store/gl3gim8cd8p920iw3m5qwdyv6zvlhwnv-guix-fae72ebb4.drv': 1
dependencies couldn't be built
cannot build derivation
`/gnu/store/85vkb01zgkfmy902m352hjcv35d7hzqb-profile.drv': 1 dependencies
couldn't be built
guix pull: error: build of
`/gnu/store/85vkb01zgkfmy902m352hjcv35d7hzqb-profile.drv' failed1

What can I do? Some help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Best regards,
Léon