Subject: bug#41994: Emacs on Apple ARM devices

From: Roland Kaufmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2020 00:10:22 +0200

RK> Code generation on Apple's ARM devices ... expect a code
RK> signature section ... This changeset implements those changes
RK> on the Mach-O dumper

RP> Are these ... still needed now that emacs-27 has a portable
RP> dumper?

This may be a case of incredible bad timing, as I haven't kept up 
on the development of the pdumper. Doing some light reading up on 
it now, it seems to me that it does the loading from a custom file 
format instead of writing a native executable.

Evidently, this renders any improvements on the unexec code moot, 
although it's still in the tree, I guess for platforms where the 
pdumper is not yet fully tested, so I understand the reluctance to 
spend any more scarce time on it.

AT> I suspect the patch to configure.ac might be needed even for 
AT> the pdumpder?

Yes, although one could discuss if the concept of ported/unported 
status still applies in the same way once there is the pdumper.

-- 
Yours sincerely,

Roland Kaufmann