Subject: Re: bug#41994: Emacs on Apple ARM devices

From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2020 16:15:40 +0200

>>>>> On Fri, 14 Aug 2020 02:17:18 -0700, Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> said:

    Stefan> Roland Kaufmann <[email-masked]> writes:
    >> Code generation on Apple's ARM devices is mostly similar to MacOS, except that
    >> they expect a code signature section, which to avoid wasting too many bytes, are
    >> not aligned on page size as with code, but rather to nearest 16 bytes. In
    >> addition, the ARM compiler will also emit some relative pointer relocation
    >> records, which it seems can be safely ignored as sections aren't rearranged.
    >> 
    >> This changeset implements those changes on the Mach-O dumper so that Emacs can
    >> be compiled for ARM devices. With the ongoing convergence between the MacOS and
    >> iOS platform, and the increasing importance of code-signing in later MacOS
    >> versions, I think it could be nice to mainline these changes.
    >> 
    >> Since these sections do not occur in current MacOS builds - otherwise they would
    >> generate errors for being unknown - the changes should not impact existing
    >> places where Emacs build, and it would not work on iOS without to begin with.
    >> 
    >> Hat tip to Aaron Griffith for sharing his knowledge.

    Stefan> This series of patches was submitted 8 weeks ago, but never got a reply
    Stefan> at the time.

    Stefan> Could someone with more knowledge about this please help review it?

Are these patches even still needed now that emacs-27 has a portable
dumper?

Robert