Subject: bug#4196: closed (Re: bug#4196: Parallel bytecomp may sometimes fail)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 18:52:02 +0000

Your bug report

#4196: Parallel bytecomp may sometimes fail

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
4196: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=4196
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#4196: Parallel bytecomp may sometimes fail
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 14:53:50 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 24.1

Hopefully fixed by this change:

2010-09-11  Glenn Morris  <rgm at gnu.org>

  * emacs-lisp/bytecomp.el (byte-compile-file): Create .elc files
  atomically, to avoid parallel build errors.

Subject: Parallel bytecomp may sometimes fail
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: quiet <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 21:52:58 -0400

Apparently, parallel byte-compilation may sometimes fail, if one
process tries to read an .elc file that another process is writing.

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2009-08/msg00294.html

Two solutions were suggested for this:

1) Prefer the .el files when byte-compiling. This is similar to a
feature that has been requested already (#2061), but using it in this
instance would change the way byte-compilation works (not that it
should have any measurable affect, other than a slowdown).

2) Write the .elc file to a temp file, then move it into position in a
single operation.