Subject: bug#41951: 28.0.50; Automatically detect AUTH=ANONYMOUS in Gnus nnimap?

From: Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2020 21:01:15 -0700

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> So only honor AUTH=ANONYMOUS if the user has set no
>> nnimap-authenticator, and also we don't find this server in our
>> auth-source-search, right?
>
> Yes.  nnimap-authenticator is nil by default.

Hmm, but `nnimap-credentials->auth-source-search' will prompt for auth
details and save them if none are found, which is the behavior I was
trying to avoid to begin with.

Meh, this probably isn't the right thing to do. The manual specifically
says (about `nnimap-authenticator'):

"Some IMAP servers allow anonymous logins. In that case, this should be
 set to ‘anonymous’. If this variable isn’t set, the normal login
 methods will be used."

So implicitly short-circuiting the normal login procedure is actually
contrary to the documentation, which says do it explicitly. I'm inclined
to drop this...