Subject: Re: bug#4192: 23.1; special fontification for "//" in cc-mode

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Feb 2016 14:36:15 +1100

Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]> writes:

>> This is a feature request for cc-mode.
>
>> I work on a number of projects that use C89, not C99.  In these
>> projects, it is invalid to use "//"-style comment.  It would be nice if
>> cc-mode would optionally flag such comments in a special face, so that
>> I can immediately see when I've written a comment incorrectly.
>
> I'm not sure this is important enough to warrant a fully
> implemented/documented/QA'd feature, but then again, I'm not sure it's
> not.
>
> Here's a quick hack called c-disable-line-comments.el.  Load it into your
> Emacs before CC Mode (in particular, before desktop gets loaded).
>
> Toggling c-disable-line-comments doesn't work smoothly with the font
> locking, but I'm assuming here you'll not really be wanting to toggle
> this.

I think this sounds useful.  For instance, in the Emacs source code, //
is also frowned upon, so having those be marked by CC mode would be
handy.  This doesn't seem to have made its way into the code base, I
think.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no