Subject: bug#4191 closed by Chong Yidong <[email-masked]> (Re: 23.1; Infinite recursion in url-generic-parse-url)

From: [email-masked] (Emacs bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 00:55:04 +0000

This is an automatic notification regarding your bug report
which was filed against the emacs package:

#4191: 23.1; Infinite recursion in url-generic-parse-url

It has been closed by Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>.

Their explanation is attached below along with your original report.
If this explanation is unsatisfactory and you have not received a
better one in a separate message then please contact Chong Yidong <[email-masked]> by
replying to this email.

-- 
4191: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=4191
Emacs Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: 23.1; Infinite recursion in url-generic-parse-url
From: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>
To: "Oliver\, Peter" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 20:47:58 -0400

> When an HTTP URL passed to url-generic-parse-url does not include a
> port number, and the environment variable http_proxy is set and also
> does not include a port number, infinite recursion results.

Thanks for the bug report.  I've checked a fix into the trunk.

Subject: 23.1; Infinite recursion in url-generic-parse-url
From: "Oliver, Peter" <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 16:14:33 +0100

When an HTTP URL passed to url-generic-parse-url does not include a port number, and the environment variable http_proxy is set and also does not include a port number, infinite recursion results.  See the following backtrace for an example:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Variable binding depth exceeds max-specpdl-size")
  url-generic-parse-url("http://proxy")
...
  url-generic-parse-url("http://proxy")
  url-scheme-register-proxy("http")
  url-scheme-get-property("http" default-port)
  url-generic-parse-url("http://proxy")
  url-scheme-register-proxy("http")
  url-scheme-get-property("http" default-port)
  url-generic-parse-url("http://www.some.where/")
  eval((url-generic-parse-url "http://www.some.where/"))

___________________________ Disclaimer Notice ____________________
This message and any attachments are confidential and should only
be read by those to whom they are addressed. If you are not the
intended recipient, please contact us, delete the message from your
computer and destroy any copies. Any distribution or copying without
our prior permission is prohibited.

Internet communications are not always secure and therefore the
E.ON Group does not accept legal responsibility for this message.
The recipient is responsible for verifying its authenticity before
acting on the contents. Any views or opinions presented are solely
those of the author and do not necessarily
represent those of the E.ON Group.

E.ON IS UK Limited, Westwood Way, Westwood Business Park,
Coventry, CV4 8LG.
Registered in England & Wales No. 5617434

Telephone +44 (0) 2476 192000
Fax +44 (0) 2476 42 5432