Subject: Re: bug#41904: Emacs Lisp

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2020 22:51:15 -0400

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

Clojure is not a dialect of Lisp.  It has fundamental differences --
for instance, it does not represent lists using cons cells.  That means
the most basic programming techniques of Lisp don't work in Clojure.

If Clojure is useful for you, there is nothing wrong with using it --
its implementation is free software, ISTR -- but please don't think of
it as Lisp.

  > Secondly, I will probably have to learn Clojure too if Emacs Lisp
  > is not "enhanced" to become a full Lisp language that can generate
  > programs with concurrency features on all its platforms - Unix,
  > Linux, MacOS and Windows.

Unix, MacOS and Windows are complete operating systems.  Linux is not
a complete operating system, it is a kernel.  So I think you must be
talking about the GNU operating system with Linux as kernel.

Many people call that system "Linux", but that is a confusion.  It
misattributes our work to someone else, which is treating us badly.
Would you please call it "GNU/Linux" to give the GNU Project equal
mention?

See https://gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html and
https://gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html, plus the history in
https://gnu.org/gnu/the-gnu-project.html.

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman
Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org)
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)