Subject: bug#41890: 28.0.50; [PATCH]: Add bindings for project.el

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2020 15:25:14 +0300

On 19.06.2020 13:50, Simen Heggestøyl wrote:
>>> My only gripe would be that it makes it a bit harder to add new
>>> commands, since it now requires modifying both project-switch-commands
>>> and project-prefix\-map.
>> As in for developers, when they want to contribute a new project-*
>> function or users who want to just change stuff (I know the line might
>> be blury)?
> The latter. For the former case I think it's fine.
> 
>>> Maybe we could reintroduce the helper function we had for that purpose
>>> earlier.
>> I missed when this happened. In what commit was it removed, or was it
>> just in a patch?
> Sorry, yes, it was just a patch. Maybe it could look something like
> this:
> 
> ;;;###autoload
> (defun project-add-switch-command (key command label)
>    (define-key project-prefix-map key command)
>    (add-to-list 'project-switch-commands (list command label) t))

Not sure the above will change things too much. It's a function, not a 
Customize interface (which could be added for the current format of 
project-switch-commands), and its valid values would have to be 
documented and understood by the user anyway. We could as well put its 
body in the documentation as customization instructions.

Now, I think the current setup is pretty good already. The extra 
capability that the patch brings will be the ability to turn on 
project-switch-use-entire-map in their local configs.

Are there people here who intend to do that?